Used Infinitv4 PCIe in new computer

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:42 pm

Sancho,

Whatever we did seemed to work when the tuner was forced into using a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address. Sounds like you know your way around that better than me. Essentially we took away both DHCP servers, so the cards only option was to go 169.xxx.xxx.xxx. Everything responded to our bashing after that. Not exactly sure how that was done.

EDIT:
See post 45. Network tuners was installed in WMC at the time, From within WMC in Network tuners a reset was done like in post 26. That is how 169.xxx.xxx.xxx was envoked

Further digging has revealed that we somehow triggered APIPA.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/APIPA.html
Attachments
APIPA169.XXX.XXX.XXX.JPG

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:28 pm

Here's how I see it, and if anyone knows differently, esp. regarding how the InfiniTV card works, let me know:

The card has flashable memory (NVRAM or whatever they call it in this application), on which are stored default settings. The default Network Settings have the card acting as a DHCP Server. The upshot of this is that when you plug in a card that is at the Factory Default settings and install the driver package, the Ceton Network Device is created in Windows, and an IP is assigned to that device by the DHCP Server on the card. By default that IP seems to be 192.168.200.2. That makes sense, as the DHCP Server is 192.168.200.1.

APIPA kicks in when the card being installed is not using the Factory Default Settings, specifically the Network Settings. This can cause a number of problems, one of which is that the Ceton software (the Diagnostic Tool) cannot find the card. IF the card's NVRAM is not defective, it is possible to reset the card using the options built into the Diag Tool. I employed this method successfully on the used card I bought that had the flashing blue LED when it was first installed. In general, APIPA takes over when a network device can't get configuration parameters automatically from some source. In the case of an unrecognized InfiniTV card, which would normally assign the network settings to the Ceton Network Device, APIPA handles that task. Thus, an IP in the 169.254.0.0 range is assigned. Recall that the installation of the driver creates the Ceton Network Device. This creation does not require successful detection of the card.

It's important not to confuse the (physical) card with the Ceton Network Device. While obviously related, they are not the same.

This morning I successfully unbridged the used card using the WMC tool, even though I created the bridge manually. Given my outline of how the InfiniTV functions, the Ceton Network Device reset to using the DHCP Server on the card, because that's what the "factory reset" does: tear down the bridge and reset the network settings. I had been using 10.0.0.2 for the card's IP, as that was how I was sharing a tuner. Now that it's in DHCP server mode, the Ceton Network Device is back to 192.168.200.2. All this in anticipation of a new WiFi NIC and a new bridge on a different network.

The problem with the defective card is that the settings cannot be reverted to their factory defaults. This is evidence of corrupted NVRAM/flash memory. Further evidence is the fact that no firmware (not just the latest; I tried multiple builds) will Unpack on the card. Interestingly, the card can still work, but it is stuck on the 10.0.0.0 network. This could be problematic in some scenarios, for example, doing Network Tuners where the other NIC in the bridge needs to be on the LAN when the LAN uses 192.168.1.0 or whatever. I suppose one could readdress their LAN to use 10.0.0.0, but what a serious PITA that would be. If one is sharing tuners via a direct connection, as I was with the powerline adapters, the stuck IP of 10.0.0.2 is not a problem. The inability to update the firmware is, perhaps, a bigger problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sadly, I had to put that PC back together and return it to normal duties, sans InfiniTV card. I really appreciate your willingness to help and gung-ho attitude!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:01 pm

I like the way you see it. It makes sense to me. It's nice to finally have a professional explanation. We won't have to slash and bash our way through it next time.

Thank-you

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:01 am

Yeah Sancho, I was just trying to suggest that you try reseting to factory defaults after manually setting windows network connections adapter IP address. This is because the settings are not retained it can appear that your Nvram is bad. I was suggesting you try to get to the web GUI while unbridged and see if you can retain settings like JayZe was able to.

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:20 am

cwinfield wrote:Yeah Sancho, I was just trying to suggest that you try reseting to factory defaults after manually setting windows network connections adapter IP address. This is because the settings are not retained it can appear that your Nvram is bad. I was suggesting you try to get to the web GUI while unbridged and see if you can retain settings like JayZe was able to.
Gotcha. Sadly, the Network Settings won't change. It's back in its box with a note on how to make it work, should I ever need it. I reckon Micro$oft will have abandoned WMC and live TV by the time that happens ;)

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:32 am

Sancho wrote: I reckon Micro$oft will have abandoned WMC and live TV by the time that happens ;)
If it was worth the hassle to sell it, How much would you want for it?

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:26 am

Crash2009 wrote:
Sancho wrote: I reckon Micro$oft will have abandoned WMC and live TV by the time that happens ;)
If it was worth the hassle to sell it, How much would you want for it?
I think I'll hang on to it, just in case. You should check eBay, though. There's at least one good one currently available:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181669885857

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:34 pm

Thanks, they sure have come down in price.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:38 pm

If you're really looking for one, I just posted mine: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =21&t=8520

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:20 pm

Bryan wrote:If you're really looking for one, I just posted mine: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =21&t=8520
Thanks anyway! I wasn't really looking, then I thought about it, and decided it's not worth rocking the boat to add 4. My next project will be a pair of 6 internal.