Certain channels not working properly

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
barcod21

HTPC Specs: Show details

Certain channels not working properly

Post by barcod21 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Hello, I have a ticket open with Ceton but was wondering if anyone else has seen anything like I am seeing. I purchased several Echos and all 3 do the same thing but my 2 computers running Windows 7 Media center and My XBOX 360 working as an extender all work flawlessly.

I have approx. 20 to 25 channels that if I turn on the Echo and start on one of the channels that IS NOT one of these 20 - 25 channels, the echo plays TV just fine, however, when I switch to one of these channels either by going +/- channel button or using the guide, the old channel will freeze on the screen and the new channel will be in a smaller area in the top left corner of the screen. The new channel plays fine but is not filling up the screen as seen in the picture below. I can keep switching through channels via the guide or +/- buttons and the channel with switch but it will stay in the small corner of the screen if it is one of the 20 - 25 channels, or it will go full screen if it is NOT one of the 20 -25 channels.

The other scenario is that if I start with one of these 20 - 25 channels when the Echo is turned on these channels are displayed properly, then when I switch to a channel that IS NOT one of these 20 - 25 channels, the entire picture freezes on the old channel and only the audo of the new channel played. The audio will continue to switch as I change channels but the picture stays frozen on the original channel it froze on. As soon as I change to one of the 20 -25 channels the video and audio is displayed correctly.

Has anyone seen anything like this? I don't see how it doesn't affect the Media center computers or the XBOX 360 but I also don't see how all 3 echos are affected since I have not been able to find anyone reporting anything similar to this with the Echos. I assume it must be something they don't like about my particular setup but I can't figure it out. I have put the bare minimum on the network (1 computer, 1 echo, and 1 HDHOMERUN Prime) to make sure other equipment is not interfering. If I check the signal strength in Media center or the echo it is always showing full bars or the line is maxed out at the top of the graph. I've moved the HD homerun prime to different cable outlets around the house thinking maybe its signal is changed in certain locations where there are cable splitters but no matter what I do I always have this same (predictable) behavior. Any feedback would be appreciated. Oh, BTW I have Cincinnati Bell Fioptics (not their IPTV) but more of like a Verizon FIOS type cable system if that helps.

Thanks

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:22 pm

It seems that your echo & display is having problems with display settings. I would try changing the echo to 1080p or 720p instead of native. What model TV are you using, could it's internal scaling be messing with the echos?

barcod21

Post by barcod21 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:28 pm

cwinfield wrote:It seems that your echo & display is having problems with display settings. I would try changing the echo to 1080p or 720p instead of native. What model TV are you using, could it's internal scaling be messing with the echos?
Thanks for the reply cwinfield, I should have mentioned that I have tried changing the echo's setting to 1080p and 720p (and even 480) and native but always get the same result (obviously just in different size/scaling). I have tried them on our new LG 60" LED, an older Sony 60" SXRD rear projection TV, really old envision 32" LCD and some newer 27" AOC monitors and always get the same problem so I don't think its the display. I do somewhat agree that resolution may be somehow playing a factor but I don't know how? I guess if it is, I don't neccessarily think it is the resolution of the Echo, but could it be resolution being sent by Cincinnati Bell? I will point out that when I say 20 -25 channels I am only talking about High Def. I have the same type of problems with Standard Definition as well on the Echos but I've been focusing on the HD content since that is all I really ever watch.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:03 pm

Yes it probably is the different encoding switching between mpeg 2 & 4 and different resolutions. The only other factor I could think of is your graphics drivers. What are you using? I would try playing with the scaling options in that even though it is only affecting your echos.

barcod21

Post by barcod21 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:05 pm

cwinfield wrote:Yes it probably is the different encoding switching between mpeg 2 & 4 and different resolutions. The only other factor I could think of is your graphics drivers. What are you using? I would try playing with the scaling options in that even though it is only affecting your echos.
Is there a way I can tell if the format or resolution is changing? I kind of looked around on the HDHomerunPrime software but really wasn't able to see any difference between channels but maybe the Echos or Media Center have something that would show me this? And if this proves to be the case, is that something that is not common among cable providers (which is why the echos are struggling with it)?

As far as playing with the scaling options on the computer, I am definitely open to trying this but would that really have any affect on what the Echo is doing? The one computer that I built specifically for this purpose uses an AMD, AM1 5350 processor with built in graphics so this uses the AMD Catalyst drivers and software , the second computer that I installed Windows 7 on so that I could rule out the first computer as being the cause of my problems is an older 3Ghz core 2 duo with a 9800GTX graphics card using NVidia drivers and software. I really don't know a ton about streaming/ media center/ etc.. so I'm just asking the question if the computers graphics settings could really impact the Echo. Its certainly easy enough to try and will do so when I get home. I do know that currently, both PC's that I've tested on are set to 1080P in the graphics settings because that is the native resolution of the LG TV and also the AOC monitors so it is safe to say that is something I have not played around with.

One other thing that I forgot to mention.. All recorded TV plays fine on the echos and if I am recording live TV, that channel will always display fine on the Echo. So I can have one channel that is on the list of 20-25 channels recording and 1 channel that is not on the list recording and I can switch back and forth between them seamlessly. As soon as they stop recording it goes back to what I see in my original post and any channel that is not being recorded is doing what is stated in the original post.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:30 pm

To view the encoding hit 411 then info on your remote, also I would definitely try poking around with the amd graphics properties. Maybe even the the beta or even earlier drivers. If possible try a different graphics card. As far as if I'm 100% sure it affects the extender, I don't know. I can say that The intel drivers dynamic contrast setting affected extenders.

Wait both of your computers with different video cards are doing this? I'm not sure what can be done as your cable company will just tell you it works fine with our set top box. Unless there is a something with the HDHRP drivers or both video card drivers are altering video. Do you have the extenders set up just from one? Did you try adding them to the other computer?

If it is related to the echo, then I wouldn't expect much from Ceton.

barcod21

Post by barcod21 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:01 pm

cwinfield wrote:To view the encoding hit 411 then info on your remote, also I would definitely try poking around with the amd graphics properties. Maybe even the the beta or even earlier drivers. If possible try a different graphics card. As far as if I'm 100% sure it affects the extender, I don't know. I can say that The intel drivers dynamic contrast setting affected extenders.

Wait both of your computers with different video cards are doing this? I'm not sure what can be done as your cable company will just tell you it works fine with our set top box. Unless there is a something with the HDHRP drivers or both video card drivers are altering video. Do you have the extenders set up just from one? Did you try adding them to the other computer?

Thanks for the info, I was able to bring up the 411/info screen but don't see anything on there about the type of encoding? The problem happens when the extenders are connected to either computer so I don't think my computers are the root cause of this problem although I did play around with the computer resolution some this weekend with no luck. I also connected a different HDHRP with the same cable card but it too didn't solve the problem... So that being said, I can comfortably rule out the HDHRP and the computer. I can't rule out the cable card or provider but I don't get why all stations work flawlessly from the XBOX 360, the computers, and the HDHRP software, just not the Echos (all 3 of them)....but its a problem with the Echos that nobody else seems to have ever had.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:33 pm

You would have to scroll over with the right arrow to presentation debug. What I was suggesting with the driver is to try different settings with the image scaling http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... aling.aspx.

It sounds like your ready to pretty much refute the chance that it is the computer but it would not be to difficult to just set up your extenders thru the other computer especially with a hdhrp. Did you try a catalyst cc beta?

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... -beta.aspx

The echo can be a huge pain in the ass but just because the xbox 360 extenders work doesn't mean something in your setup could be changed which will resolve you issue.

Haba

Post by Haba » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:18 am

barcod21 wrote:
cwinfield wrote:To view the encoding hit 411 then info on your remote, also I would definitely try poking around with the amd graphics properties. Maybe even the the beta or even earlier drivers. If possible try a different graphics card. As far as if I'm 100% sure it affects the extender, I don't know. I can say that The intel drivers dynamic contrast setting affected extenders.

Thanks for the info, I was able to bring up the 411/info screen but don't see anything on there about the type of encoding? The problem happens when the extenders are connected to either computer so I don't think my computers are the root cause of this problem although I did play around with the computer resolution some this weekend with no luck. I also connected a different HDHRP with the same cable card but it too didn't solve the problem... So that being said, I can comfortably rule out the HDHRP and the computer. I can't rule out the cable card or provider but I don't get why all stations work flawlessly from the XBOX 360, the computers, and the HDHRP software, just not the Echos (all 3 of them)....but its a problem with the Echos that nobody else seems to have ever had.
Since you have established the Xbox 360 works fine in your system, I think it is pretty obvious that your problem is the Echo so focus there. Generally cable tv uses an mpeg2 variable bit stream with either 1080i or 720p for each channel. Some providers have certain channels that are now using mpeg4 variable bit stream which could be your issue. Have you contacted Ceton support to see if they can help? I would go that route first before anything else. You may need to contact your cable provider tech support to find out what is different about the two different channel groups? You need to use 411 info on the HTPC to get info on the two channel groups and maybe see what is different. You can get additional pages of info by using the left and right arrow keys, to get rid of the overlay, just press the back key. 411 info used on the extender has little useful info. I have never seen this issue, but I am using all Xbox 360 slims that work like a champ!

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:53 am

Haba wrote:Since you have established the Xbox 360 works fine in your system, I think it is pretty obvious that your problem is the Echo so focus there. Generally cable tv uses an mpeg2 variable bit stream with either 1080i or 720p for each channel. Some providers have certain channels that are now using mpeg4 variable bit stream which could be your issue. Have you contacted Ceton support to see if they can help? I would go that route first before anything else. You may need to contact your cable provider tech support to find out what is different about the two different channel groups? You need to use 411 info on the HTPC to get info on the two channel groups and maybe see what is different. You can get additional pages of info by using the left and right arrow keys, to get rid of the overlay, just press the back key. 411 info used on the extender has little useful info. I have never seen this issue, but I am using all Xbox 360 slims that work like a champ!
Yes, the issue is how the echo is handling the video. Unfortunately the echo has not seen a firmware upgrade since 3/16/2013 and I doubt it may ever see another one. From what I understand there are fundamental differences in the RDP sessions between a xbox360 which uses directx, and also works in windows 8. Echo extender session does not use directx, it uses GDI.
I would definitely open a ticket with Ceton, see what the pros say.

Keks22

Post by Keks22 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:45 pm

@ barcod21: Could your problem be solved? I have the same Problem.

dejavux2

Post by dejavux2 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:37 pm

You said that you hooked the Echo up to a Projection TV and an older LCD.... Did these have HDMI, or are you using something between the Echo and the TV?

Keks22

Post by Keks22 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:19 pm

My Problem exists with a Sony TV and a Epson Projector. Both connected with HDMI from Echo to device. I opened a Ticket by Ceton but the Support can't help me because i use the Echo outside USA - no Support! :(
I think it is a Resolution Problem and how the Echo handle it. I tried all Settings in the Echo but nothing works. Maybe i should use a HD-Ready Display instead of a Full HD Display.