Record Does Not Work For Specific Channels

sskevinm

HTPC Specs: Show details

Record Does Not Work For Specific Channels

Post by sskevinm » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:13 pm

I have been having some trouble trying to record TV shows on Destination America and Velocity. My cable provider is Time Warner Cable and the channel numbers that I am having trouble with is 1144 and 1156. When I attempt to record or schedule a recording, I do not get the red dot indicator that shows the TV program is recording or will be recorded. The option to record is not greyed out, and when selected for either of these two channels, nothing happens. I am able to rewind live TV on both channels and I have no problems with any other standard HD channel. Are these channels flagged to "No Copy"?

bobstr

Post by bobstr » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:46 pm

sskevinm wrote:I have been having some trouble trying to record TV shows on Destination America and Velocity. My cable provider is Time Warner Cable and the channel numbers that I am having trouble with is 1144 and 1156. When I attempt to record or schedule a recording, I do not get the red dot indicator that shows the TV program is recording or will be recorded. The option to record is not greyed out, and when selected for either of these two channels, nothing happens. I am able to rewind live TV on both channels and I have no problems with any other standard HD channel. Are these channels flagged to "No Copy"?
I ran into the exact same problem with 'The Hub' channel (now renamed to one of the Discovery channels), where it appeared to be perfectly normal, showing up in all the same ways as any other channel - but not able to record it, pressing record in any of the normal ways did nothing at all - as if it were being blocked from recording without showing any errors or messages.

End result of lots of research - nothing.

So, out of desperation, I removed the channel from the guide, saved it without that channel, rebooted the PC, then added the channel back in. After that - the problem was gone.

Not sure why it behaved that way, or if it started out that way when I originally added the channel (at that time, it had only been recently added to Comcast and I hadn't tried to record anything on that channel for at least a couple months after it was added to the guide), but that's what I had to do to fix it.

Hopefully it will work that way for you.

sskevinm

Post by sskevinm » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:43 pm

Hey, thanks for the suggestion; that worked perfectly. I had to remove the channel and then re-add it. From there I was able to record on these channels again.

bobstr

Post by bobstr » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:52 am

sskevinm wrote:Hey, thanks for the suggestion; that worked perfectly. I had to remove the channel and then re-add it. From there I was able to record on these channels again.
I have no explanation as to why it was a problem when the channel I had the issue with - it was auto-added in MC when Comcast started offering that one in my area. I did the remove/re-add thing out of desperation.

What's funny is that I never did record anything on that channel after I got it fixed....