Predictable temporary loss of network connection on 360

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
sandysan

HTPC Specs: Show details

Predictable temporary loss of network connection on 360

Post by sandysan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:00 pm

I have a weird thing that is happeneing to my xbox 360 extender where the network nearly completely and predictably drops signal. As this is quite recent I thought the kb3004394 might be the culprit but I looked and it is NOT listed as one of the installed updates.

This problem manifests itself by having great playback of hdtv only to have periodic and predictable loss of signal and " network issues". I went into the 360 and tuned the network, by bar graph its all bars full by line graph it is pegged at the top line then periodically drops down below the line acceptable for tv, spends like 3-4 seconds there then it goes right back up. kind of like this ( time units arbitrary)

time signal
0 max
1 max
2 max
3 10%
4 10%
5 max
6-12 max
13-14 10%
15-22 max

The traces are essentially superimposable, repetitive and predictable which makes me think its some component of the network. it does NOT affect the WMC PC, only the extender. The PC is a new build of win7 ultimate 32 bit, 4 gbs ram and a g3258 overclocked to 4.0 Ghz.

The signal path is coax to HDHR prime, to linksys E300, to on networks unmanaged 8 port swith dsg008 to a D-link power adaptor (AV200) to xbox360s upstairs. My guess is that either the switch or the power adaptors are having problems persistently moving data. both the WMC pc and the powerline adaptors are connected to the switch. which makes me suspect the powerline adaptors which should be more than sufficient for the tbase 100 of the xbox.

any ideas or suggestions ? thanks in advance

blueiedgod

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:06 pm

Run a temporary Ethernet in place of the powerline adapters, and see if the issue persists.