Is the Win 8.1 MC Experience better than 8.0?

Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:00 pm

allanmb wrote:Unfortunately, that's not how databases work. Could you imagine if Google required all websites to have no folders so it could return your searches on time ;-)
To begin with, I'm sure Google is using all the latest and greatest. Win 7 WMC is nearly EOL. Win 8 isn't even finished yet, and from what I read, it never will be. So comparing 7 to 8 is apples to oranges. The fact remains (as you say) that 8 pukes a little, and 7 pukes a lot, when they get to you music and pictures. You seem to think that the reason WMC pukes is because you have such a massive collection. All I am suggesting is there might be some other reason.

jec6613

Post by jec6613 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:06 pm

allanmb wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:
allanmb wrote:
Yes, the biggest ones for me are the pictures/music libraries. I have thousands of items in both and it hangs the Win7 MC for a long time. Windows 8 MC is much better in this regard
Picture this, you have 2 file clerks in charge of organizing your music files, and you tell them both to file a song titled Purple Haze. For those of you too young to know what Purple Haze is....1967/Jimmy Hendrix Experience/ Are you Experienced/ Purple Haze.

Clerk 1 files the song 1967/Jimmy Hendrix Experience/ Are you Experienced/ Purple Haze/

Clerk 2 simply files the song inside a folder named Music/Purple Haze/

You come along and tell both clerks to go get me the Purple Haze file. Which Clerk will return the file to you the quickest?

The point is, WMC is responsible for the organizing, the more we try to help out, by organizing folder inside folder inside folder, the more we slow her down.

Try this, throw 10,000 single music or picture files inside a folder, and watch how quickly WMC does her job. She will index it once, and load it instantly the next time. Technically, I could be 100% wrong about this, this is just a personal observation on my own system.
Unfortunately, that's not how databases work. Could you imagine if Google required all websites to have no folders so it could return your searches on time ;-)
Precisely. Also, if you use REFS instead of NTFS, your storage becomes much more flexible ... it's very nice. :D

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:20 am

While not a big deal, the setup to enable the cable card is a lot cleaner too...Just recently had to reinstall the main HTPC (win 7) and my laptop (win 8.1)...Much cleaner in Win 8.1

But a one-time setup, so no real advantage either way...