Tuner Not Found

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
aeblank

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tuner Not Found

Post by aeblank » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:11 pm

Hi all. I got my parents a second hdhr-3us for their system. Like the first one, I got a dedicated network card for it.

The hdhr software finds the tuner.
Media center only finds the old tuner(shows up as 2, naturally).

What is up?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:43 am

My guess is that WMC won't check multiple network cards for tuners. Having a dedicated network card for tuners is not necessary. Try putting the second HDHR on the same network as the first tuner, then re-run the tuner setup in WMC. If you have a good quality gigabit switch, you won't have any network issues.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:58 pm

On MY system, I had 2 HDHRs connected to the network.
For reasons that don't matter, I had an extra network card. I moved one tuner off of the network and onto that card. I did not re-run setup. All works fine. (I did that because I would run into network issues if I had both extenders going and all 4 tuners recording).

Anyway, what's the difference there?

gsr

Post by gsr » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:54 am

aeblank wrote:On MY system, I had 2 HDHRs connected to the network.
For reasons that don't matter, I had an extra network card. I moved one tuner off of the network and onto that card. I did not re-run setup. All works fine. (I did that because I would run into network issues if I had both extenders going and all 4 tuners recording).

Anyway, what's the difference there?
The reasons sort of do matter, because if your network is setup properly you shouldn't have any problems having multiple Silicondust tuners on the same network. I have 5 HDHomeRuns (the dual OTA tuners) and 3 HDHomeRun Primes all on the same network and can record a bunch of shows on one of my PC's while watching another show on the same PC or on various PC's at the same time without any problems. This is on a fairly simple Gigabit network with HP Procurve switches. If you were running into issues with 4 tuners recording and 2 extenders viewing, then there are definitely network problems that should probably be addressed.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:16 am

You must run TV setup. No way around it.

It worked the first time around because you didn't add a tuner, you merely relocated it.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:13 pm

On the SD forum they (eventually) said download the new driver, and run the "repair".
So, that did it.

I'm *guessing* that there was a software/firmware mis-match with the new tuner. Updating the driver also updated the firmware (on both tuners).

On my system, the firmware is all in-check, version-wise, so that's why I had no problems.

So for historical record, there it is.