InfiniTV + Plex still broken?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
bilditup1

HTPC Specs: Show details

InfiniTV + Plex still broken?

Post by bilditup1 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:37 pm

Hi all-
I seem to be having some serious issues running Plex and Win7+WMC/InfiniTV 6 PCIe simultaneously. It seems to work for a little bit, but eventually the tuner on whatever Echo/PC I'm watching it on drops out entirely and doesn't come back until I reboot. This seems to be an old issue, which was, apparently, fixed, but on the advice of Ceton support I exited Plex on my next reboot and haven't yet encountered this problem again. (I tried shutting off the DLNA server, instead of exiting Plex, but that didn't work. I have not uninstalled Plex just yet and don't plan to if it's avoidable.)

So I'm wondering if anybody else is still encountering this problem, or if they've found a permanent fix. (This is with the latest 'beta' driver for the InfiniTV, btw. I told this to Ceton, but they didn't seem to think that downgrading would help me.)

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:17 pm

You should contact Mikinho at Ceton Corp. He may have some suggestions for you. The Plex forum post you linked to has posts from him in there. He should be able to help you. You could/should also submit a support ticket to Ceton as well.
newfiend~

brianlich

Post by brianlich » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:43 pm

I'm having the same problem. I opened a ticket with Ceton and they asked me to uninstall Plex as it causes stability issues. I asked for more information and they couldn't comment on specifics. I just uninstalled Plex this morning, but I really want to use it on the same machine as Media Center.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:29 pm

brianlich wrote:I'm having the same problem. I opened a ticket with Ceton and they asked me to uninstall Plex as it causes stability issues. I asked for more information and they couldn't comment on specifics. I just uninstalled Plex this morning, but I really want to use it on the same machine as Media Center.
Considered Media Browser 3?
http://mediabrowser.tv/

I use this for my media. I can stream to mobile devices etc.. As well as use it in WMC without any issues with my Ceton InfiniTV 6. Some people don't like the UI quite as much as PLEX but I have had good success with it and I don't mind the UI at all..
newfiend~

bilditup1

Post by bilditup1 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:53 pm

newfiend wrote: Considered Media Browser 3?

I use this for my media. I can stream to mobile devices etc.. As well as use it in WMC without any issues with my Ceton InfiniTV 6. Some people don't like the UI quite as much as PLEX but I have had good success with it and I don't mind the UI at all..
newfiend~
Thanks for the tip newfiend. The UI looks fine, but, I am a lifetime subscriber to Plex and am basically happy with it, so I'm really loath to do this. May jump on this HTPC deal and dedicate it to WMC - it may be underspecced though.

bilditup1

Post by bilditup1 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:22 pm

newfiend wrote:You should contact Mikinho at Ceton Corp. He may have some suggestions for you. The Plex forum post you linked to has posts from him in there. He should be able to help you. You could/should also submit a support ticket to Ceton as well.
newfiend~
Hi newfiend, thanks for the reply.

Is he on this forum as well, or should I try to find him over at Plex?
I should clarify that I'm only aware of this issue BECAUSE of an ongoing support ticket with them - which was initially about pairing issues and such, but once I finally resolved those, thanks in large part to old posts on this forum, shifted to this problem of tuners dropping out. They said it was either because of Plex, or Intel's HD4000 drivers, and that my only options were getting another video card, removing Plex, or moving the InfiniTV to a new computer that had neither, which is functionally the same as the first two.
Now, this happens on my extenders and on my WMC PC, but I was under the impression that whatever drivers I have for my WMC machine's igfx is irrelevant if I'm viewing via extender (which I am, 99% of the time). These issues didn't exist with an earlier build of the PC that did have Plex, but didn't have Intel igfx, which lends the driver/gfx idea some credence, I guess.
In any case, I'll try to track him down. Thanks again. Anyone else with sage advice is welcome to chime in.

brianlich

Post by brianlich » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:48 pm

newfiend wrote:
brianlich wrote:I'm having the same problem. I opened a ticket with Ceton and they asked me to uninstall Plex as it causes stability issues. I asked for more information and they couldn't comment on specifics. I just uninstalled Plex this morning, but I really want to use it on the same machine as Media Center.
Considered Media Browser 3?

newfiend~
Media Browser 3 is very nice. I use Plex to stream my Bluray content from my WMC PC straight to my TV(s) via the Samsung Plex app. I use XBOX 360 extenders and they can't handle the bitrate.

Plex for BD content and WMC+Media Browser for everything else.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:58 pm

bilditup1 wrote:
newfiend wrote:You should contact Mikinho at Ceton Corp. He may have some suggestions for you.
Is he on this forum as well, or should I try to find him over at Plex?
Yes, send him a PM ;)
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/mem ... file&u=181
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

bilditup1

Post by bilditup1 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:07 pm

I sent him a PM both here and at missingremote, where he seems to be more active. Nothing.
I'm already committed to Plex, so I decided to switch to two HDHomeRuns. Shame about the extra $5 a month, but yeah. Not building yet another PC for this.
Anyone who wants an InfiniTV 6 PCIe, I'll be listing it soon here, I think.

brianlich

Post by brianlich » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:14 pm

bilditup1 wrote:I sent him a PM both here and at missingremote, where he seems to be more active. Nothing.
I'm already committed to Plex, so I decided to switch to two HDHomeRuns. Shame about the extra $5 a month, but yeah. Not building yet another PC for this.
Anyone who wants an InfiniTV 6 PCIe, I'll be listing it soon here, I think.
I just switched to HDHomeRuns as well. So far so good.

bilditup1

Post by bilditup1 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:34 am

brianlich wrote:
I just switched to HDHomeRuns as well. So far so good.
Bought mine used, being cheap and all. Waiting for them to come on. Let's see. I've got one set up somewhere else that works pretty well and changes channels much quicker, so I have high hopes.

beggehorn

Post by beggehorn » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:29 pm

I just registered for this forum to add my experiences here.

I'm a long time HTPC/Windows Media Center user and also own a lifetime Plex Pass. We just got cable and I've finally retired my old ATI OTA tuners in favor of the Ceton Infinitv 6 ETH. I actually had run into the old Ceton/Plex compatibility issue a couple of years ago when helping my brother troubleshoot his HTPC build (based on an InfiniTV 4 USB). He was also running Plex and after Ceton solved the issue with an update, he had things working quite well.

I'm not sure why but I'm now facing the same issues reported here. My PC will lockup every day or so. It seems to happen only when watching/recording live TV. I've never had it happen when I'm only watching recorded TV (with the tuners inactive). I have an open case with Ceton and as usual, they recommend uninstalling Plex but seem to forget the fix was on their end last time, IIRC.

I'm going to give Ceton support a fair chance to address this but if I hit a dead end, I will make a switch and join the ranks of others who are recommending alternatives to Ceton products. I'm tired of companies who spend more time pointing fingers than they do genuinely trying to solve the problem. With the new Plex apps for Xbox poised as the replacement for WMC, Ceton really can't afford to play this game any longer... I hope they are listening!

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:14 pm

beggehorn wrote:I just registered for this forum to add my experiences here.

I'm a long time HTPC/Windows Media Center user and also own a lifetime Plex Pass. We just got cable and I've finally retired my old ATI OTA tuners in favor of the Ceton Infinitv 6 ETH. I actually had run into the old Ceton/Plex compatibility issue a couple of years ago when helping my brother troubleshoot his HTPC build (based on an InfiniTV 4 USB). He was also running Plex and after Ceton solved the issue with an update, he had things working quite well.

I'm not sure why but I'm now facing the same issues reported here. My PC will lockup every day or so. It seems to happen only when watching/recording live TV. I've never had it happen when I'm only watching recorded TV (with the tuners inactive). I have an open case with Ceton and as usual, they recommend uninstalling Plex but seem to forget the fix was on their end last time, IIRC.

I'm going to give Ceton support a fair chance to address this but if I hit a dead end, I will make a switch and join the ranks of others who are recommending alternatives to Ceton products. I'm tired of companies who spend more time pointing fingers than they do genuinely trying to solve the problem. With the new Plex apps for Xbox poised as the replacement for WMC, Ceton really can't afford to play this game any longer... I hope they are listening!
If you have an InfiniTV ETH tuner and your PC is hard-locking, it is technically impossible for it to be the InfiniTV's fault. Only system code (basically the kernel and drivers) can hang a machine in this manner. The InfiniTV ETH uses no drivers - it is just IP traffic. Most likely this is either your network driver or video driver's fault.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:43 am

I have given Plex a try on 3 separate occasions on stable systems and all 3 times had problems.
My systems worked fine before installation and after removal.
One time installing Total Media Theater 5 broke it. I also now use MB3 without issue.
I must say I have multiple Ceton, SiliconDust, Hauppauge, and ATI cablecard tuners which have all had an occasional challenge.
But they all have their merits.

beggehorn

Post by beggehorn » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:48 pm

erkotz wrote:
If you have an InfiniTV ETH tuner and your PC is hard-locking, it is technically impossible for it to be the InfiniTV's fault. Only system code (basically the kernel and drivers) can hang a machine in this manner. The InfiniTV ETH uses no drivers - it is just IP traffic. Most likely this is either your network driver or video driver's fault.
Please enlighten me on what this reply means.... my Ceton doesn't work when I uninstall the Ceton drivers that my InfiniTV ETH "doesn't use". I remember these same kind of responses (pointing at other software/components on my system) the last go-round... Eventually Ceton released new firmware which solved the issue (which is very similar to this).

Here are my facts: My PC doesn't lock up if I uninstall the Ceton. I have been using Plex without issue on my system with an ATI TV tuner installed with "0" lockups like these on three different systems for years. As soon as I setup the Ceton, I find my PC unresponsive every two to three days.

Is there anyone at Ceton willing to simply download Plex Media Server and repro this in house? I'm assuming the Ceton techs would be more adept at finding the actual root of the problem your product is contributing to than I would by examining Windows Log files (as suggested I do by Ceton tech support).

Seriously, this can't be that hard to solve seeing how easy it is for me and others to repro.

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:36 pm

beggehorn wrote:
erkotz wrote:
Please enlighten me on what this reply means.... my Ceton doesn't work when I uninstall the Ceton drivers that my InfiniTV ETH "doesn't use". I remember these same kind of responses (pointing at other software/components on my system) the last go-round... Eventually Ceton released new firmware which solved the issue (which is very similar to this).

Here are my facts: My PC doesn't lock up if I uninstall the Ceton. I have been using Plex without issue on my system with an ATI TV tuner installed with "0" lockups like these on three different systems for years. As soon as I setup the Ceton, I find my PC unresponsive every two to three days.

Is there anyone at Ceton willing to simply download Plex Media Server and repro this in house? I'm assuming the Ceton techs would be more adept at finding the actual root of the problem your product is contributing to than I would by examining Windows Log files (as suggested I do by Ceton tech support).

Seriously, this can't be that hard to solve seeing how easy it is for me and others to repro.
Beggehorn, I think the issue here is that Ceton is a manufacturer of cable card tuner hardware devices. They are not Windows Media Center systems integrators. Their only charter in life (from our standpoint) is to produce a hardware device that "might" work with the integrated software and hardware system that you have. The only way to know for sure is to purchase one of their devices and see if it works with your integrated system. They have no perview into what Plex, Microsoft, ATI/AMD or Nvidia might do with their hardware and software. I'm sure they don't have an interest in determining the myriad of combinations that Ceton tuners might be used in. Because Windows is the primary target operating system that the Ceton hardware is duty bound to work under that's likely all of the technical investigation that they've likely performed and rightfully so are required to perform. They reasonably claim that their device will work with the Windows 7 & 8 operating system that's about it. They can't guess beyond that what all other conditions their device will be used. From that end it doesn't make business sense to try and find out. You are the test agent that needs to do that. If it doesn't work for you, then another device or a different suite of software might be a better avenue for you. That might possiby include hardware, operating system and software. That's likely the reason you won't get an affirmation from them on this type of request. I know that doesn't make you feel any better or solve your problem but it does illustrate the issues at hand and why it won't likely happen.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:55 am

beggehorn wrote:
erkotz wrote:

Essentially, there are two types of code running on your PC, User Mode and Kernel Mode. User mode includes anything you actualy interact with (applications). Kernel Mode is the kernel itself and drivers (behind the scene system stuff). Only kernel mode software can crash/hang the whole PC. User mode applications can crash themselves - but won't affect the system as a whole. The InfiniTV Ethernet uses no Kernel-mode components, which is why I said it is impossible for it to lock up the PC.

The InfiniTV service (part of the "drivers") helps WMC find the Ethernet unit, but you can force it to do the same with ehprivjob. There is no actual driver for the Ethernet InfiniTV.

As I stated previously, this is likely your video drivers (you mentioned other tuners, but if they aren't CableCARD tuners, they won't invoke the protected content path, so that's not identicle) or the network card drivers. I would recommend you start by upgrading both.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

beggehorn

Post by beggehorn » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:00 am

Thank you for the reply erkotz. Your recomendations are some of the same steps that were given me in my Ceton support ticket. Nothing has helped...

Would you mind installing PMS on a test machine over at Ceton HQ so that you can see if you can repro on your system(s)?

Bill

Post by Bill » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:45 pm

Not a ton of help, but i've been running plex with two InfiniTVs (4 tuner/PCIe) in the same box for close to a year with no issues. I also have 3 Echos connected to this box that work as well as they can.
HTPCs, InfiniTVs, and Extenders OH MY!

dabronxkid

Post by dabronxkid » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:14 pm

I've had a similar issue with Plex and what I discovered was that the UPNP was causing the issue. What I did was turned off UPNP on Plex (also on MCEBuddy) and I've been error free for a year.