InfiniTV 4, Windows 8 and my last 4 days

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Mezzum

HTPC Specs: Show details

InfiniTV 4, Windows 8 and my last 4 days

Post by Mezzum » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:45 pm

I consider myself an expert. And I have had my challenges, but this one is near the top. I like others had their InfiniTV 4 FREAK OUT lately. So the search began to fix it. Ockham's Razor first and always the best move. Check every point of error, cables, connections etc, twice. So I now know, its not a simple fix. The error of unable to show protected content and PlayReady not updating still causing problems. My InfiniTV 4 USB has been running 8 months with zero issues, on Windows 8 Pro.

I found every hack and fix listed on the net. From the Windows Update issue, to video issues which was strange, sometimes WMC worked only in a window. Every fix I could find, I tried. Shutting down services in the middle of the setup to get around the PlayReady error, I tried all I could find. Next I uninstalled and reinstalled, nothing. Tried different drivers, nothing. Tried to restore my system before all this start, Nada. After 5 hours, I wiped the drive, start from scratch, loaded Windows 8 Pro, then WMC, ran the updates (minus the problem one), hooked up the InfiniTv 4 USB, loaded drivers ran setup and unbelievably same exact PlayReady failure. What!? This made no sense.

Again, trouble shooting mode, nothing. If a fresh install doesn't fix it, I am really only left with one choice, since I don't want to spend another 6 hours trying to figure this out. I need this up and running.

I wiped the drive again, and tracked down my copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. The process was like butter...loaded Win 7, loaded Win Updates (minus SP1), hooked up InfiniTV 4 USB, drivers, ran diagnostics, check. Ran WMC setup, worked perfect. Ran a few tests, check! Problem solved!!

I consider myself an expert, but I am not all knowing, after all its Windows we are taking about. I troubled shooter this to the best of my ability, I am writing this to help anyone having this very strange problem. I hope someone finds a better answer, but if you want to save yourself a headache, in my opinion, Ceton is behind so far when it comes to Windows 8, needless to say the upcoming Windows 10, stick to Windows 7 for the Ceton InfiniTV 4 USB.

I am sure there is an easy fix that I couldnt find, but truthfully, the switch back to Windows 7 I find my other programs I use to make my Home Media Server work like MCEBuddy (highly recommended), Plex, Media Center Master all seem to work better. Good luck, hope I helped someone.