Setup fails on clean install on Windows 8.1

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
tvalot

HTPC Specs: Show details

Setup fails on clean install on Windows 8.1

Post by tvalot » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to install the Ceton My Media Center Services on a clean install of Windows 8.1 Professional (with Windows Media Center installed - no TV tuner card yet though).

During the install, it gives me the following error:

"Failed to save changes to XML file C:\Windows\\ehome\ehexthost.exe.config, system error: -2147024891"

Looking up the error code -2147024891 I see it corresponds to some kind of ACCESS_DENIED error.

If I pick "Ignore" and continue with the install and run the diagnostic tests the services are up and running but "Service Communication" fails with "Cannot connect to remote server". I don't know if this is related to the error I receive during the install or not.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:28 pm

Uninstall MMC Services, reboot, and install the latest beta for W8.

http://update.cetoncorp.com/get/mymedia ... atest/beta
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

tvalot

Post by tvalot » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:44 am

Thanks for answering!

I did that, but I get the same error when installing the beta (tried it twice and made sure to reboot in between). I even tried unzipping the installation and running the .msi as an administrator, but I still get the access denied error.

Any help is appreciated, would love to get this working!

Thanks

tvalot

Post by tvalot » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:21 pm

Ok, so I got it to work by granting "Everyone" Full Access through Windows Explorer/Security Settings on that particular file.

I also noticed that the link you provided (http://update.cetoncorp.com/get/mymedia ... atest/beta) I get version 13.10.28.1276. If I go into the Configuration Utility I see a notice about "New version available", and if I install the stable version I get version 13.12.07.1361, so it seems the beta is a bit behind (and I am therefore running the stable version as that seems to be the latest).

However, even when ehexthost.exe.config has been patched properly I still get "Can't connect to remote server" when running diagnostics.

Any other ideas/tips? Really grateful for any help!

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:45 pm

Make sure the Windows Firewall or any other firewall software is disabled. From another PC, try accessing the IP address/hostname and port number of the HTPC. Such as, http://htpc:5832/

You should see a text page that says "My Media Center services are running properly. Nothing to see here ... move along... move along"
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

tvalot

Post by tvalot » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:57 pm

Yes, you are right, if I connect from another computer I see that message. However, the diagnostic tool on the same computer does still not work ("Service Communication" fails). However, it seems it connects successfully when I connect through Windows 8 apps, but I have not yet received my TV tuner card so I cannot test that part. I have however added Movies which does not show up at all.

How do I trigger YAMM to rescan movies? Is there any log of scans?