Noise reduction

jriker1

HTPC Specs: Show details

Noise reduction

Post by jriker1 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:21 am

I have been using windows media center to records live TV for years without issue. Extending with Xbox. One thing I notice, or my family did, is a lot of daytime soap opera type shows have horrible hissing or electrical humming noises the whole time. Amplified by subwoofers. Probably the lighting or outside shots. Can't believe an amateur like me could fix this in five minutes, and they just leave it. These noises do not present themselves on night shows or movies. Does anyone know if there are ways to clean up the sound in the original audio files automatically and replace the original sound with the cleansed one? Tools like soundsoap could do it manually demuxing the streams and cleaning and remuxing, but that would be a pain to do daily on so many shows. I know this is probably not possible but thought I would ask.

Thanks.

JR

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:26 pm

You may experiencing a ground loop, but honestly, it could be a number of things. It would be worth trying to put a two prong adaptor on your subwoofer if that's where the sound is coming from. I used to stock two prong adaptors on my truck back when I installed custom home theater; it's actually a common issue.

jriker1

Post by jriker1 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:34 am

mcewinter wrote:You may experiencing a ground loop, but honestly, it could be a number of things. It would be worth trying to put a two prong adaptor on your subwoofer if that's where the sound is coming from. I used to stock two prong adaptors on my truck back when I installed custom home theater; it's actually a common issue.
I'm intrigued. Are you talking about the wall power plug? If you could share a picture or link to picture of the component you are referring to would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

JR

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:49 am

It may not apply to your issue. I had issues like you described with glass tube tv's; it seems odd to still hear of this. Anyways, you still might want to give it a try...

Yes, the power plug. You plug the three prongs into it, and there's only two on the other side. Like I said earlier, this fix is if the sound/interference is coming from the subwoofer independently.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-15-A ... /100356839

jriker1

Post by jriker1 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:58 am

Thanks I'll give it a try. I don't think this is the case myself as when watching the shows, when it's an outdoor scene there is loud humming but think that's wind. When they are inside the noise is different almost like interference from neon lights or something. Other shows are fine nothing. I was looking at the ebtech Hum X. If for some reason the three to two plug converter helps at all, do you think that's a better way to go than what you listed above?

For reference, my receiver is plugged into a Monster line conditioner in another room (radio frequency remote) on one circuit. My TV is in the family room along with the subwoofer. Subwoofer is plugged directly into the wall and so is the wireless transmitter that is feeding the subwoofer the signal as I screwed up my in wall wiring so had to go wireless. Both ends of the wireless transmitter are 5 feet away from each other so signal is strong. Sub and TV are on a different circuit in the house. Not sure if any of the above helps diagnose before I start to evaluate this.

Thanks.

JR

EDIT: Note I have a single RCA out from the wireless receiver into the LFE port on the subwoofer. If I remove the RCE cable from the receiver, so the cable is plugged into the LFE port on the subwoofer and other end is free, and put my finger on the end of the RCA connector, it starts humming. Not sure if that is normal.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:09 am

I would try the adaptor for less than a buck. A high end audio cable to the sub might help as long as it's shielded and grounded at the source end only.

An audio system on two circuits is very likely to experience a ground loop.

jriker1

Post by jriker1 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:12 am

mcewinter wrote:I would try the adaptor for less than a buck. A high end audio cable to the sub might help as long as it's shielded and grounded at the source end only.

An audio system on two circuits is very likely to cause a ground loop.
Thanks I'll give it a try. Funny. I'm staring at this rather crappy cable coming from the receiver to the sub. And sitting in my basement going thru my cables, now staring at this high end monster cable subwoofer interlink cable sitting in a bag with 6 others, scratching my head going "why am I using this micro thin cable?"

JR

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:16 am

Now might be a good time to ask...does the sound or interference come from the speakers as well?

jriker1

Post by jriker1 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:18 am

Yeah, looks like I'm going to have to do some serious analysis. I tried the monster interconnect. Same hum when I put my finger on the end of it so obviously not the cable even though the other one is/was junky.

For reference with all the gear on including the subwoofer but no signal being sent to it, the main speakers I can barely hear a slight hiss. Speaker volume is at THX 0 I guess you would say. Volume is 0, not negative or positive so is fairly high. Subs I don't hear anything right now. Chances are my family just doesn't like the subwoofer or thinks they don't, especially when listening to people with heavy accents they think it makes it harder to understand their dialect.

JR

EDIT: Not the plug. Sub only has a two prong wall plug so the adapter recommended won't help.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:52 am

Yeah, maybe look at it from a different angle, maybe they're not watching the HD channel and it just sounds crappy.