Echo with "Smart TV" Capabilities

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
boxerboys

HTPC Specs: Show details

Echo with "Smart TV" Capabilities

Post by boxerboys » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:12 am

I've done some searching; and perhaps I missed with the generalized search terms I was using. But I was wondering if there is any news as to whether Ceton would/could release a media player device (like all the others) that supports a variety of Apps and is also a WMC extender? As a long time WMC user with multiple Linksys extenders in the house, I am now faced with demand from the family for additional support on the remote TVs. This may be Netflix, Hulu, HBO....you name it. The development of apps in Windows Media Center is very quiet in comparison to the industry. Everyone is making streaming devices.....it would be GREAT to have one that also acted as a Media Center Extender. Sure I can buy other devices and switch source inputs for varous things......but I (and I am sure others) would be willing to pay for this functionality in a single Ceton Echo vX. To be honest, the old Linksys extenders do just fine for native MC content......but the family is getting impatient. I do not want to move away from Windows MC!

Any thoughts on whether this is even feasible?
Any thoughts as to whether Ceton (or other) is considering this?

If not.....I don't think Windows Media Center (and thus Ceton) have a prosperous future. Down with AppleTV, Chromecast, FireTV, etc...etc......

Thanks for listening........

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:22 am

boxerboys wrote: Any thoughts as to whether Ceton (or other) is considering this?
http://cetoncorp.com/blog/ceton-echo-android/
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

boxerboys

Post by boxerboys » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:28 am

Thank you....but if I recall, that post is from late 2013. Is it still relevant (if so pardon my ignorance)? They talk about upgrade issues.........but if it they had the product "working" outside of upgrade isssues, then why not introduce a new product line....event at a higher cost?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:45 am

This was discussed ad nauseam back in 2013. Nothing has changed since then. Short answer is we asked Ceton the very same thing and got no answer. They've either given up or have moved forward with new hardware but don't want to announce anything new until their current inventory is all sold. I hope it's the latter but strongly suspect it's the former given that WMC extenders are a dead end thanks to M$.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:23 pm

Ceton has maintained radio silence regarding the Echo. In my opinion, I don't think they have the resources to develop a product that can compete with Amazon Fire TV, Google Chromecast, Apple TV, and Roku.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct