Update firmware to 14.XXX ?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
FMinMI

HTPC Specs: Show details

Update firmware to 14.XXX ?

Post by FMinMI » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:00 pm

Hello all,

For over a year I have been running my ETH6 without any issues other than the fact that on a 4 week schedule, I do a cold boot of my ETH6 and a daily reboot of the WMC computer used for all my recordings. During that time I have only lost a handful of shows (out of hundreds). To make sure nothing changed I turned off all Windows updates and totally ignored any Ceton firmware updates.

Today was the 28th day and as I have done for the past 13 months I cold booted the ETH6 and did the normal checks with the diagnostic app. When I clicked on UPDATE I saw that two were available - 14.4.6.21 (stable) and 14.10.3.163 (beta). I read the beta comments on this site but didn't see much about the current stable version. Since I am running 13.5.24.142, I am considering finally doing a firmware update BUT am concerned over if there are going to be issues since this appears to be a significant revision based on the version number (14 vs 13).

Can someone tell me if the update will require any messing around with current recording that are setup (series) or with PlayReady DRM? I had a lot of issues when I first installed the ETH6 and now that it is working nice with the WMC computer and my 2 ECHOs (plus 2 other computers on the network) I really don't need a headache again. What did you see improve when you did the update?

Any input is welcome. BTW running Win7 SP1 on all computers if it matters...

Thanks

Frank in Michigan.

Sea3

Post by Sea3 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:32 pm

I have never had any setup problems after doing updates and I'm happy enough now with 14.4.6.21 (USB and ETH + Win7 Sp1), but I think there is always some risk with an update. I think I started updates from a "12" but that is really just the year, not necessarily a major version. I'm reluctant to update to 14.10.3.163 since everything is working well now even though I'm tempted since it has "General stability improvements" in addition to CableCard related changes that I don't think apply to my Motorola CC.

It sounds like you are fairly satisfied with you current setup, but if you are interested, the 14.4.6.21 (stable) update was announced and discussed in http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =68&t=7281.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:15 pm

The versions are the dates the firmware was built. So 14.4.6.21 was built on April 26, 2014. I believe the last digit is the time it was bult in minutes after midnight (so 21 means it was built at 00:21).

We will likely be pushing 14.10.3.163 to stable in the next week or two, so I would recommend going right to it.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:05 pm

Any changes to 14.10.3.163 since it was first released? I opened a ticket a month ago regarding random reboots to the ETH that I don't remember having on 14.4.6.21. Sometimes it will run anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks then reboot, leaving WMC DRM in the red until a PC reboot. Ceton closed the ticket immediately and didn't ask for any more feedback. So I reverted to the old firmware. Should I stick with the old firmware, get a UPS or make a task to reboot my PC every day?

FminiMI, I have loaded the subject current and beta firmwares at least a dozen times with no ill effects.

FMinMI

Post by FMinMI » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:08 pm

erkotz wrote:The versions are the dates the firmware was built. So 14.4.6.21 was built on April 26, 2014. I believe the last digit is the time it was bult in minutes after midnight (so 21 means it was built at 00:21).

We will likely be pushing 14.10.3.163 to stable in the next week or two, so I would recommend going right to it.
OK. I will make the plunge right now. Fingers crossed...

Frank in Michigan

FMinMI

Post by FMinMI » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:10 pm

mdavej wrote:Any changes to 14.10.3.163 since it was first released? I opened a ticket a month ago regarding random reboots to the ETH that I don't remember having on 14.4.6.21. Sometimes it will run anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks then reboot, leaving WMC DRM in the red until a PC reboot. Ceton closed the ticket immediately and didn't ask for any more feedback. So I reverted to the old firmware. Should I stick with the old firmware, get a UPS or make a task to reboot my PC every day?

FminiMI, I have loaded the subject current and beta firmwares at least a dozen times with no ill effects.
Thanks for the info. It is updating as I type. I assume I should do a hard boot of ETH6 and WMC once done? And I am still going to keep with my 28 day cold boot of ETH6 and daily reboot of WMC until reruns come back, just in case.

Frank in Michigan

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:21 pm

erkotz wrote:... We will likely be pushing 14.10.3.163 to stable in the next week or two..
What about the several people in the 14.10.3.163 thread who are having issues and have reverted back???

I have been holding at 14.4.6.21 because of those posts...

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:28 pm

FMinMI wrote:I assume I should do a hard boot of ETH6 and WMC once done? And I am still going to keep with my 28 day cold boot of ETH6 and daily reboot of WMC until reruns come back, just in case.

Frank in Michigan
Ceton claims a hard boot of the ETH is not necessary, but I've had issues unless I cold boot both. 17 days is the most I've managed on the beta firmware without a PC reboot. I think I'll at least start doing a weekly reboot. Without any feedback from Ceton I'll never know if this ~2wk cycle is coincidence, a fluke, power glitch, cosmic rays, my cable company or whatever. Until I get some new information, I'm staying away from the beta from now on.

FMinMI

Post by FMinMI » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:35 pm

mdavej wrote:
FMinMI wrote:I assume I should do a hard boot of ETH6 and WMC once done? And I am still going to keep with my 28 day cold boot of ETH6 and daily reboot of WMC until reruns come back, just in case.

Frank in Michigan
Ceton claims a hard boot of the ETH is not necessary, but I've had issues unless I cold boot both. 17 days is the most I've managed on the beta firmware without a PC reboot. I think I'll at least start doing a weekly reboot. Without any feedback from Ceton I'll never know if this ~2wk cycle is coincidence, a fluke, power glitch, cosmic rays, my cable company or whatever. Until I get some new information, I'm staying away from the beta from now on.
Rats. I guess I should have waited for more comments. I picked the beta and now there is no option to go to the other one in the UPDATE tab. I should have used the stable one first based on recent posts. Guess I will let it run tonight and carefully watch it to see if I have any issues. Then do the same tomorrow if tonight is OK. How did you go back to the older version - download it from the site?

Frank in Michigan

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:55 pm

FMinMI

Post by FMinMI » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:07 pm

mdavej wrote:Here's the previous version: http://update.cetoncorp.com/get/infinit ... 6_21.IMAGE
I see this is an image. How do I tell the ETH6 to install it?

Frank in Michigan

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:12 pm

FMinMI wrote:
mdavej wrote:Here's the previous version: http://update.cetoncorp.com/get/infinit ... 6_21.IMAGE

Frank in Michigan
Put IP address of the ETH in your web browser eg http://192.168.1.xxx/
Goto the SYSTEM tab, scroll to the bottom

FMinMI

Post by FMinMI » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:30 pm

tzr916 wrote:
FMinMI wrote:

Frank in Michigan
Put IP address of the ETH in your web browser eg http://192.168.1.xxx/
Goto the SYSTEM tab, scroll to the bottom
Thanks. Worked fine however when I checked in the diagnostic program it is saying this download was beta (c3 ceton_infinitv_beta_fw_14_4_6_21.IMAGE 0) ?

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:39 pm

FMinMI wrote: Thanks. Worked fine however when I checked in the diagnostic program it is saying this download was beta (c3 ceton_infinitv_beta_fw_14_4_6_21.IMAGE 0) ?
Mine says that too, it's ok.

FMinMI

Post by FMinMI » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:40 pm

tzr916 wrote:
FMinMI wrote: Thanks. Worked fine however when I checked in the diagnostic program it is saying this download was beta (c3 ceton_infinitv_beta_fw_14_4_6_21.IMAGE 0) ?
Mine says that too, it's ok.
OK. Thanks again...