DVD Ratings question

Vamp9190

HTPC Specs: Show details

DVD Ratings question

Post by Vamp9190 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:43 pm

I posted this topic in the legacy forum, but I think that the solution applies to Win 7 WMC also (I have Win 7 Ultimate x64 on my other machine, with local DVD folders too, so I can test a potential fix there if needed).

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =93&t=8133

Thanks for any help!

Vamp9190

Post by Vamp9190 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:07 pm

Anyone have an idea?

Vamp9190

Post by Vamp9190 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:32 am

No one has run across this issue?

Space

Post by Space » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:18 pm

I don't use parental controls, and have very few ripped DVDs, so don't use that much either. The ones I do have have a <movie_name>.dvdid.xml file which contains the DVDID of the movie so that the details can be looked up on a server (this file was created by DVDfab when it ripped the DVD, you need to enable this option). I believe the existence of this file causes WMC to create a separate *.xml file in the DvdInfoCache based on the data it downloads from the server (this is just speculation).

If you go to Movies -> Movie Library and then sort the movies by "Parental rating", does it show all the movies in the correct section? They should be sorted/categorized in separate sections (G, PG, PG13, R). If not, then maybe your <movie_name>.xml file is wrong. Most of the movies I have have been recorded from cable and they also include additional information in the rating (e.g. ADULT SITUATIONS, LANGUAGE, etc.), so not sure how that might affect the parental controls, but the ripped DVDs I have only have the rating (G,PG,R, etc.) without this additional information.

Maybe you can try using a <movie_name>.dvdid.xml file (instead of using your existing <movie_name>.xml file) to see if it works with parental controls, if it does, then maybe you can use this instead of what you have been doing, or at least it may give you a clue to determine how it differs from what you have (I assume you are using another program to create this XML file) and modify it accordingly.

You can get the <movie_name>.dvdid.xml file from http://www.dvdid.info/ for pretty much any DVD you have (just use the search feature to find it). This file should be put in the same folder you have the *.xml file now (and you should delete or rename the old *.xml file when testing it out).

Note that I know next to nothing about all this, so what I am saying here may be complete nonsense, but I figured you weren't getting any other responses, so...