InfiniTV 6 PCIe, Windows 8, Dynamic Pooling & Tuner Sharing

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
cghirardi

HTPC Specs: Show details

InfiniTV 6 PCIe, Windows 8, Dynamic Pooling & Tuner Sharing

Post by cghirardi » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:03 pm

I have read so many conflicting things about the InfiniTV 6 and Windows 8.1 with dynamic pooling and tuner sharing. Can I have tuner sharing and dynamic pooling with the InfiniTV 6 PCIe in Windows 8.1? If not, can I have tuner sharing and dynamic pooling with the InfiniTV 6 PCIe in Windows 7? Thanks in advance!

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:15 pm

http://cetoncorp.com/product-support/
Do InfiniTV devices support sharing tuners between more than one Media Center PC?

A: InfiniTV 6 ETH is the supported solution for Network Tuner (a.k.a. Tuner Sharing) capabilities between more than one Media Center PC on a home network. It is a network-connected device that is designed specifically for such scenarios. Network Tuners with InfiniTV 6 ETH is supported on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 systems.

InfiniTV 4 PCIe supports Windows Network Bridging capabilities when running on Windows 7 systems. Network Bridging is a workaround solution that enables individual tuners on an InfiniTV 4 PCIe to be assigned to additional Windows 7 PCs. Network bridging with InfiniTV 4 PCIe is not compatible with Windows 8.x.

InfiniTV 4 USB and InfiniTV 6 PCIe do not support Network Tuners or Network Bridging.

cghirardi

Post by cghirardi » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:24 pm

Yes, very good Adam. What I've read conflicts with what the Ceton website says. I have read some people mention that with the latest beta firmware and beta software all tuner sharing and dynamic pooling does work with Windows 8.1 Pro with the PCIe InfiniTV. Can anyone confirm this?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:39 pm

You can only do network bridging which is incompatible with windows 8.x

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:34 pm

cghirardi wrote:Yes, very good Adam. What I've read conflicts with what the Ceton website says. I have read some people mention that with the latest beta firmware and beta software all tuner sharing and dynamic pooling does work with Windows 8.1 Pro with the PCIe InfiniTV. Can anyone confirm this?
This is absolutely not true. Dynamic tuner sharing is a feature of the InfiniTV ETH only, and other products do not have this feature.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:35 pm

cwinfield wrote:You can only do network bridging which is incompatible with windows 8.x
Network bridging with the InfinTV 6 PCIe is an untested (and unsupported) solution. For a network 6-tuner device, we recommend the InfiniTV 6 ETH.

cghirardi

Post by cghirardi » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:37 pm

So this makes me wonder how 6 tuners in one PC that can only be used by that PC is helpful at all.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:10 am

cghirardi wrote:So this makes me wonder how 6 tuners in one PC that can only be used by that PC is helpful at all.
We have many customers (and I am included in that) that record enough to need 6 (or more - we have customers with 2 InfiniTV 6 cards in a single PC) tuners. Additionally, they can serve extenders. For instance, my parents have an InfiniTV 6 serving one PC, but that PC has 2 Extenders on it serving a total of 3 TVs.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:44 pm

cghirardi wrote:So this makes me wonder how 6 tuners in one PC that can only be used by that PC is helpful at all.
Why wouldn't it be helpful?

For those who use WMC as it was intended--a single tuning/recording "tank" with extenders at remote TVs--6 tuners is quite handy.

cghirardi

Post by cghirardi » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:02 pm

I guess I'm thinking more specifically to my situation in which I don't want to use extenders but rather client HTPC's. All of this information is helpful though, thanks guys.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:46 pm

I know I've always been confused as to why the want/need to use separate Windows computers at each TV, instead of the extender system. At the least, it compromises the recording concept and takes you back to the old days of the cable company, where you have to remember where you recorded something and you have to strategize on where something should be recorded based on space or whatever.

But that's just me.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:00 pm

adam1991 wrote:I know I've always been confused as to why the want/need to use separate Windows computers at each TV, instead of the extender system. At the least, it compromises the recording concept and takes you back to the old days of the cable company, where you have to remember where you recorded something and you have to strategize on where something should be recorded based on space or whatever.

But that's just me.
Right, I think it is just a matter of the right tool for the job. If you want a HTPC server then you need a larger case with plenty of storage with a pci-e tuner and extenders. If you want several laptops and lower power NUC computers to play live TV or unprotected content then an ETH or HDHRP is just a better choice.

cghirardi

Post by cghirardi » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:41 am

Having been able to setup network bridging with the InfiniTV 6 PCIe in Wondows 8.1, though not officially supported, I again see the awesomeness and power of the InfiniTV cards.

AltSean

Post by AltSean » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:39 am

how did you setup the network bridging cg?