Strange issue with infiniTV 6 activation

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
nickster

HTPC Specs: Show details

Strange issue with infiniTV 6 activation

Post by nickster » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:15 pm

Hi all,

I've had a ceton infinitv 6 working flawlessly with a comcast cable card for over a year.

I recently moved to a new city served by brighthouse.

I have gone through three cablecards provided by brighthouse to get my ceton rolling again (nothing else has changed with the computer housing the ceton). All three cards they have provided have the same problem which prevents activation. The cablecard ID which is reported by the ceton diagnostics (and windows media center during tv setup) is different than the cablecard ID number that shows up on their side when they try to activate it. Basically, I read them off the cablecard ID number and the host ID number as provided by media center, and then they ask for the card's serial number (the one starting with PK). When they enter the serial number (the PK number) of the card, the card ID that they see on their end based on the serial number becomes different than the one that my ceton is reporting. Needless to say, the cards don't activate.

Furthermore, during the last card activation attempt, my ceton host ID briefly changed to a different number, and then changed back to the initial one as reported by media center during tv signal setup. Should the ceton host ID number ever change?

I tried updating from the latest stable to the latest beta firmware, and it didn't change anything.

Does this sound like a problem with brighthouse, or my infinitv?

Thanks for any advice.

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:26 am

Sounds like a cablecard/provider issue.
Make sure the cablecard firmware is new enough to handle the six tuner card.
Double check that the cablecard is properly seated.
Make sure the cable rep isn't reading from the cereal box.
Submit a support ticket with Ceton.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:15 pm

I agree, this sounds like an issue with your CableCARD or the provider's inventory.

The Host ID is unique to each Host (InfiniTV) and will never, ever change.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

nickster

Post by nickster » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:35 pm

erkotz wrote:I agree, this sounds like an issue with your CableCARD or the provider's inventory.

The Host ID is unique to each Host (InfiniTV) and will never, ever change.
That's what I thought, but the ceton host ID changed (as read from the media center cablecard activation screen) during one attempt to activate a cablecard. In a subsequent attempt with a different card, it reverted back to the usual host ID number. That doesn't sound like a provider issue does it? Or could a faulty cablecard cause the host ID to change as seen by media center?

Also, I did get another cablecard today. Same issue- cablecard ID number on their end didn't match the cablecard ID number as reported by my media center. However, the tech support guy changed it on their end to match the ID number that my media center saw it as, and it is working now. Interestingly though, when I run ceton diagnostics, it says the card still is not activated properly. I never had these issues with Comcast cablecards (I never thought I would be complimenting Comcast).