CGMS copy-once problem on Comcast

Discussions for Linux infiniTV installations
cats22

HTPC Specs: Show details

CGMS copy-once problem on Comcast

Post by cats22 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:55 pm

I have an InfiniTV 6 ETH

I recent firmware upgrade in the Comcast cable card caused a change in the rules. The cable card no longer supplies a CCI flag for channels that have CCI "Copy Freely". As a result these channels are now becoming subject to CGMS copy protection. A number of channels in my Comcast lineup are now being restricted as copy-once, for example USA network and SYFY, plus several others. With Linux and MythTV this prevents recording altogether. Is it possible for Ceton to provide a firmware update that will bypass the CGMS flag for encrypted channels, as it did before this change?

I see that the latest firmware on your site InfiniTV 6 products (14.4.6.21) is named ceton_infinitv_beta_fw_14_4_6_21.IMAGE. I am very reluctant to install a beta version of firmware. Can you confirm if this is a beta version, and point me to the latest non-beta version. The version in my device is 13.5.6.132.

Peter

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:33 pm

InfiniTV tuners (like all OCURs) are currently required to honor CGMS flags when CCI flags are not received. We are in discussion with CableLabs and cable operators about ways of remedying this, but there is no timeline when (or if) it will be resolved.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:56 am

This issue generally only affects users of Cisco cards on the 1.5.3 firmware (of the cablecard), I have not heard of any issues with moto cards which comcast usually uses (type of card WILL vary by market, not like you get a choice). Other people on Comcast have been able to get the firmware on their cablecard reverted to 1.5.2, I don't know whether or not that version will stick or if it will be a constant requirement to call to revert and they may have changed their policy on this... Tivos don't have the issue (except possibly in streaming) as they aren't OCURs and they are trying to get everyone on the 1.5.3.1201 firmware (there are a couple letters, F and p, in there someplace) which helps with 6 tuner devices, though I hadn't really heard of any real problems with the 6 ETH like I have with the 6 tuner Tivos and I believe it also affected the x1. Some are saying 1201 does fix this issue from 1101 as the reasoning is the unprotected channels now work on the x1 when they didn't on 1101, but to my knowledge no 1.5.3 firmware will allow CCI of copy freely to show up.

cats22

Post by cats22 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:03 pm

Comcast has downgraded my formware to
OS Ver: PKEY1.5.2_F.p.3001
This does not solve the problem. USA network (763) is still not able to be received.
The ceton device shows the message "Copy Generation Management System - Analog: "One Copy" (0x02)". The ceton log still shows these messages:

ocur[21]: ocur: [5] Channel is scrambled, expecting CCI
ocur[21]: ocur: WARNING: [5] Timed out waiting for CCI (recvd 0)

The lack of a CCI seems to be the root cause.

Evidently that version of the firmware does not solve the problem.

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:36 pm

The key here is they still need to properly configure the channel with a CCI of copy freely, if the have moved to 1.5.3, chances are they don't bother to configure the channels right... on the 1.5.2 firmware, should pass that as copy freely 1.5.3 will "always" never pass CCI if it's copy freely. However I don't have much info on the 3001 (I believe it was 2801 that was the last I saw) so it is possible that they also added that change of not passing CCI to the 3001 version (a quick check would be to see if you get any copy freely of CCI showing up on any channel (check a local). I also just noticed you have a 6 tuner product... generally I don't recommend 1.5.2 for 6 tuner products so it might be a case where the 5th or 6th tuner was being used. Make sure you try rebooting the device(s). I'd also take a look at signal issues.

cats22

Post by cats22 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:40 pm

It turns out the pairing validation of the card had been undone at some point. I called Comcast and got the cable card activated again and now I am getting all the channels. The firmware is still at PKEY1.5.2_F.p.3001
So for now, my problem is solved.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:25 pm

Just to circle back, CableLabs approved our request. The firmware at http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =68&t=8352 does not honor CGMS-A, which will resolve this issue.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

cats22

Post by cats22 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:18 pm

Yes - thank you for that. I am waiting a week or so to see if anybody has any issues with the new firmware, then I will install it.