Netflix in WMC7 - Internet connection issue

abigrock

HTPC Specs: Show details

Netflix in WMC7 - Internet connection issue

Post by abigrock » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:41 am

So is anyone else having an issue getting into WMC7 Netflix? I have tried on 5 different computers and all of them are getting the "INTERNET CONNECTON - there was a problem retrieving data." error. I have ran through all normal diagnostics but this seems to be an issue outside of my Media Center computers.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:58 am

I have Windows 8 on my desktop pc, launched WMC > Netflix and didn't have any problems at all. Sounds like maybe a ISP or Netflix issue on your end possibly. They could have a server issue somewhere (Netflix or ISP related) causing this for you. I would try again later today or tomorrow and see if it clears up.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:02 am

Haven't tried it in Media Center lately. Roku, anyone?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:10 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Haven't tried it in Media Center lately. Roku, anyone?
did you mount the Roku inside the the HTPC case for an all in one box solution? haha :lol: You knew that was coming .. right? :D

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:13 pm

newfiend wrote:
did you mount the Roku inside the the HTPC case for an all in one box solution? haha :lol: You knew that was coming .. right? :D
No, but I did configure the HDMI-CEC plugin in EventGhost so that it emulates the Roku box. This allows me to do all sorts of stuff, including setting up a button on my remote that takes me directly to the Roku (switches inputs via HDMI-CEC) and goes directly to Netflix. I could even add an entry point in Media Center which does the same thing... making it a seamless experience to watch Netflix. I'll see how much time I have to work on it this weekend. I keep planning to do more tweaking as described above, but haven't found the time lately.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:28 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
newfiend wrote:
No, but I did configure the HDMI-CEC plugin in EventGhost so that it emulates the Roku box. This allows me to do all sorts of stuff, including setting up a button on my remote that takes me directly to the Roku (switches inputs via HDMI-CEC) and goes directly to Netflix. I could even add an entry point in Media Center which does the same thing... making it a seamless experience to watch Netflix. I'll see how much time I have to work on it this weekend. I keep planning to do more tweaking as described above, but haven't found the time lately.
Wow, That's really cool how you did that.. Event Ghost seems like a great piece of software. I see you posted over at Media Browser forums as well.. welcome to the party. I think you will make a great addition over there as well.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:06 pm

Yeah, the new HDMI-CEC device from Pulse-Eight has been working flawlessly with the EG plugin written by kasinator. I wanted to control the Roku via HDMI-CEC, so I wrote an EG plugin that controls the Roku via the network. So, when I switch to the Roku box via the TV's source menu (the TV sends CEC commands that switch the AVR to the correct input for the Roku), I can use the TV remote to control the Roku.

Basically, the TV receives the IR commands, and then relays them over CEC. The CEC device in the PC receives the commands, and generates events in EG. The events in EG trigger macros which send commands to the Roku over the network. This setup allows me to hide the Roku box behind the A/V rack. It doesn't need line of sight, and I can put the crappy Roku remote in a drawer somewhere.

deice

Post by deice » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:04 pm

I have the same issue. in michigan on att dsl. yet to find what the problem is.

RonDMC

Post by RonDMC » Mon May 19, 2014 1:46 pm

I have this issue as well, any solution yet? It doesn't stop me from using Netlfix via WMC just that annoying pop-up "Internet connection issue retrieving data etc" just keeps coming up when browsing through items, mainly TV Shows where there are multiple episodes I have this issue. Once the item is started it is not an issue until I get back to the Netflix interface.

I have tried flushing DNS, reinstalling silverlight, updating from IE9 to IE11, clearing and resetting Internet explorer settings and cache, signing out of netflix etc. I'm at a loss unless it is something with my ISP but I can play fine through browser without pop-ups.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Mon May 19, 2014 3:05 pm

Don't just flush the DNS, change it to googles. 8.8.8.8 etc...

RonDMC

Post by RonDMC » Mon May 19, 2014 3:20 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:Don't just flush the DNS, change it to googles. 8.8.8.8 etc...
I can't because I'm not in the US, I'm using a dns service that allows me to view netflix, hulu etc and a lot of people use it so I doubt that is the issue.

Hilltopper2

Post by Hilltopper2 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:47 pm

RonDMC wrote:I have this issue as well, any solution yet? It doesn't stop me from using Netlfix via WMC just that annoying pop-up "Internet connection issue retrieving data etc" just keeps coming up when browsing through items, mainly TV Shows where there are multiple episodes I have this issue. Once the item is started it is not an issue until I get back to the Netflix interface.

I have tried flushing DNS, reinstalling silverlight, updating from IE9 to IE11, clearing and resetting Internet explorer settings and cache, signing out of netflix etc. I'm at a loss unless it is something with my ISP but I can play fine through browser without pop-ups.
I had this issue for a long time, too. My router had somehow gotten its DNS addresses changed. I changed them to OpenDNS https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-s ... ddresses/" which I'd used before when I had trouble with CenturyLink. The problem has disappeared for me.