HDHomerun Prime and Hauppauge 950 together

bsell1

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDHomerun Prime and Hauppauge 950 together

Post by bsell1 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:16 pm

Hello, I have the 3 tuner HD Homerun prime as well as a Hauppauge 950 tv stick on my system. The HDHR receives the cable signals, and the Hauppauge receives over the air signals. However, I can't seem to get WMC to see both at the same time. I can use either the HDHR prime or the Hauppage, but not both together. Anybody have any idea how to set up WMC to see both?

wayne1935

Post by wayne1935 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:23 pm

I have the same setup using TWC cable. I just followed the on screen prompts when I setup MCE. In the guide the cable channels show up x and the OTA channels show up as x.1, x.2, etc.. If you look at the source for each channel listing, I think you will see each either have cable or OTA options.

Wayne

bsell1

Post by bsell1 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:38 pm

Wayne, thanks for the reply. I have a couple of questions for you. I also have TWC. When I run the TV setup, it finds the 3 HDHR tuners, with a note that says it sees other tuners but can't set them up. How did you get past that? Also, I have found WMC to be the biggest, buggiest piece of software I have ever used. I am constantly getting out of drive space errors, don't have the right video drivers installed, etc, Do you have those issues?

wayne1935

Post by wayne1935 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:31 pm

I didn't have any trouble with the setup and WMC found the 3 cable card tuners and 2 OTA tuners (the 950q and a ATI 750). I have seen the other tuners message in the past and I just did the manual tuner selection option and everything was OK. I don't recall the exact procedure but I think it is something to the effect do you want to use these tuners. If you select 'No' you're taken to the manual selection process.

I don't remember ever seeing the other errors you're seeing and I've been running MCE for several years. You could check the vendor sites and make sure you have the latest drivers for the 950 and your video card. MCE records to the C drive by default maybe you're running short of space on you're C drive. I have a dedicated drive for recordings on the Win7 machine.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:49 pm

is this a new set up - i.e. did you ever get JUST the 950 working - I have one on a different PC, and had to get all the right Hauppauge SW installed first, then did the WMC set up...

bsell1

Post by bsell1 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:29 am

I've been running this setup about 6 months. I first had the HDHR prime, but had so many problems with WMC constantly showing disk full errors, video not set up right errors, shows not recording, etc, that I decided to get an OTA tuner to see if that helped any. I did get WMC to show both sets of tuners, but still having loads of the other issues still going on.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:04 am

bsell1 wrote:problems with WMC constantly showing disk full errors
It's been awhile since I had that error. As I recall, WMC was set to some ridiculously low number in the Maximum TV Limit. I gave WMC 1600 of the 1863 and the problem went away. I might have dumped AVG at the same time. What are you set to when you go into WMC's Settings/TV/Recorder/Recorder Storage? What are you using for Antivirus?

One other thing that I've read about, but never experienced, is hard drive permissions throwing the same error in Win8 which was apparently corrected by changing the Record on Drive to a different drive. Going in to FileExplorer and deleting the original record folder. Then go into WMC again, and set Record on back where it was.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 661#p46661
Attachments
RecorderStorageAdjustment.JPG

bsell1

Post by bsell1 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:53 am

sorry for the lateness of the reply, I did get the 2 to work together, but still having the disk full errors. I wonder if it could be because I have the recordings going to a 4 TB usb drive. Sometimes it seems to take just a few seconds to activate. Is it possible that WMC is trying to access the drive, it takes too long to get a response, and then it throws a disk full error?

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:49 pm

that is very likely the root cause...I sometimes get errors saying the program I just watched, and am trying to delete has "been moved"...in reality, it is just that the process of the player hasn't yet released the file back to the OS so the console can delete it...WMC tries to get a "lock" on it before putting up the confirmation dialog. Easy enough to try putting the main record folder on a local hard drive, then use some other utility to xfer the files longer term to the external drive...

Good Luck

bsell1

Post by bsell1 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:12 am

well that did it. Using the C: drive instead of the USB drive cleared up the problem. After 3 months it is finally working right! The only problem is there is not a lot of storage on the local drive, so I have to have an automated process to transfer over every night. Anyway, things are finally looking up.