EPG issues - no guide download in days! Colorado Comcast

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
w@ntonsoup

HTPC Specs: Show details

EPG issues - no guide download in days! Colorado Comcast

Post by w@ntonsoup » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:27 am

Anyone else not getting guide downloads for the last few days? My entire guide data is blank. Argh!!!!

webminster

Post by webminster » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:33 am

What headend, cable system location, etc? I'm getting data for Fort Collins Digital Cable (Comcast). A week ago I had to rerun TV Setup since headend IDs changed. Perhaps if you haven't you need to look at the event logs for MCUpdate and see what errors you're getting... if any headend ID invalid messages, rerun live TV setup. Otherwise, post here any error messages.
-Alan

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:52 am

See this gigantic guide issues thread with at least 2 solutions posted that seem to work for just about everyone.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=6&t=7861

w@ntonsoup

Post by w@ntonsoup » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:59 am

Thank you for the reply. When I try to run the guide update within WMC it says "The guide could not be downloaded. For more information go to the Media Center icon and right-click to view the error log".

Event log when trying to update:
6:54:56 PM - Failed to retrieve SportsSchedule (Error: Unable to connect to the remote server)
6:55:00 PM - Failed to retrieve ClientUpdate (Error: Unable to connect to the remote server)
6:55:07 PM - Failed to retrieve Broadband (Error: Unable to connect to the remote server)
6:55:09 PM - Failed to retrieve Epglistings (Error: HeadendId 28504316 is invalid.)

The HTPC network is fine, I can connect to it from other PC's and it can connect to the internet. It's worked fine for a few years until this week. This is Parker Colorado. When I tried to rerun the TV setup, when I enter the zip code it can't connect their either. Any ideas? Thanks!!

STC

Post by STC » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:05 am

Headend iD is invalid. Something has changed possibly since last setup so rerun setup and see what comes up when you enter your ZIP.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

w@ntonsoup

Post by w@ntonsoup » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:09 am

mdavej wrote:See this gigantic guide issues thread with at least 2 solutions posted that seem to work for just about everyone.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=6&t=7861
I tried the one fix I found and it didn't work :( (this one: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5#p80288)

Event viewer only showing one entry now - the headendID is invalid.

I'm at 80138 Comcast.

dabretty

Post by dabretty » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:16 am

Comcast Albuquerque here, same thing ... going to start digging once the kids go down! Is there a brief summary of the huge thread? Didn't know this was a problem until now, lots of pontification in that thread.

w@ntonsoup

Post by w@ntonsoup » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:24 am

STC wrote:Headend iD is invalid. Something has changed possibly since last setup so rerun setup and see what comes up when you enter your ZIP.
Using my real zip code it gets an error that it can't connect. I tried with a nearby zip code and it went through finally. Says it's downloading the guide. Fingers crossed.

w@ntonsoup

Post by w@ntonsoup » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:42 am

Success! Thanks for the help.

dabretty

Post by dabretty » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:17 am

Cool! About to try. So just rerun the live tv setup with a different zip?

dabretty

Post by dabretty » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:32 am

Just did the same trick here and it worked. Re-ran TV setup, using a different (but local) zip code ... and presto, guide populated.

Thanks as always!

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:44 am

w@ntonsoup wrote:Anyone else not getting guide downloads for the last few days? My entire guide data is blank. Argh!!!!
Yes, also Comcast in Colorado here. Checked my Media Center event logs and all 3 of my HTPC's were reporting headend ID invalid. Re-running the TV signal setup with the same ZIP code worked just fine to fix the problem. Did have to reboot before re-setup to get things to load properly.

nxsfan

Post by nxsfan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:04 am

Comcast in NM. "Invalid HeadendId" and "Unable to connect to the remote server" errors somewhat randomly (over the last week or so). I tried several zip codes in my town - no dice. Then I tried a zip code 40 minutes away and it seemed to work, but I cancelled when it was detecting TV signals. Next time around the same zip code gave me errors. Finally I tried a zip code ~ 2 hours away and it worked.

Hope this gets sorted.

EDIT: Well using the zip code from 2 hours away got me guide data, but the channels are all mapped wrong.

E̶D̶I̶T̶2̶:̶ ̶S̶e̶t̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶z̶i̶p̶ ̶c̶o̶d̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶r̶r̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶v̶a̶l̶u̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶s̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶.̶ ̶y̶̶̶e̶̶̶p̶̶̶ ̶̶̶c̶̶̶o̶̶̶n̶̶̶f̶̶̶i̶̶̶r̶̶̶m̶̶̶e̶̶̶d̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶a̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶̶̶s̶̶̶w̶̶̶i̶̶̶t̶̶̶c̶̶̶h̶̶̶i̶̶̶n̶̶̶g̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶o̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶ ̶̶̶d̶̶̶i̶̶̶f̶̶̶f̶̶̶e̶̶̶r̶̶̶e̶̶̶n̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶̶̶z̶̶̶i̶̶̶p̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶n̶̶̶d̶̶̶ ̶̶̶b̶̶̶a̶̶̶c̶̶̶k̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶g̶̶̶a̶̶̶i̶̶̶n̶̶̶ ̶̶̶f̶̶̶i̶̶̶x̶̶̶e̶̶̶d̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶p̶̶̶r̶̶̶o̶̶̶b̶̶̶l̶̶̶e̶̶̶m̶̶̶.̶ ̶B̶a̶h̶ ̶s̶c̶r̶a̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶,̶ ̶i̶n̶i̶t̶i̶a̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶u̶a̶l̶ ̶g̶u̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶M̶C̶E̶ ̶U̶I̶ ̶f̶a̶i̶l̶s̶ ̶(̶a̶c̶c̶o̶r̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶v̶i̶e̶w̶e̶r̶)̶ ̶a̶l̶t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶I̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶i̶a̶l̶o̶g̶ ̶s̶u̶g̶g̶e̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶l̶i̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶s̶ ̶d̶o̶w̶n̶l̶o̶a̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶c̶e̶s̶s̶f̶u̶l̶l̶y̶.̶

EDIT3: OK. I'm getting a handle on this. The guide is updating correctly after changing to a different working zip code and then back to my correct one. My HeadendID changed from 28490267 (not working) to 28485910 (working) even though the zip code is the same. Event Viewer shows everything is working correctly.
Last edited by nxsfan on Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:22 am

Re-running the TV Signal setup with any zip code should cure the Head-end problem. The unable to connect problem is totally separate and apparently an ongoing intermittent problem with the Guide servers. The fixes in the thread about missing guide data are the best way to try addressing that problem. (changing DNS servers or adding entries to hosts file)

JackDB

Post by JackDB » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:20 pm

Comcast - Fort Collins - Colorado - HDHomerun Prime w/cable-card

I have tried using zip codes from Denver, Colorado Springs, Grand Junction with no luck. Would it be possible to get a working zip code from someone who has had success with this method? Thanks

I appear to be getting the local Channel guide. Channels 633- 659 range with a few others in various locations. I believe this is what they refer to as the "Digital Terrestrial Lineup", but all the other channels (Comcast Digital)have no data in the guide.

I have changed DNS, and edited the host file, etc., with no success. Anyone else still having issues?

Thanks
Jack

JackDB

Post by JackDB » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:16 pm

I setup another PC just to test against something wrong with system level configuration, and had the same results. Only partial listings.

JackDB

Post by JackDB » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:59 pm

I am Back up and running. Here is what got it to work...

1. Changed DNS to Google DNS in both PC, and router settings

DNS1: 8.8.8.8
DNS2: 8.8.4.4

2. Added the following entries to my c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\"HOST" file

65.55.5.170 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
2.16.216.176 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com

3. Opened a CMD as Administrator, and typed the following command...

"ipconfig /flushdns"

4. Waited for 2 hours

5. Re-ran TV Signal setup in WMC7 using a nearby ZIP Code with same guide listing. This Zip code starts just 2 blocks from my house. I don't know if this actually made a difference or not.

BINGO! Listings are up and accurate. Thanks for all the ideas, and help on this thread.

Jack