Media Center Extender breaks WMC Reciever

bradc

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media Center Extender breaks WMC Reciever

Post by bradc » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:37 pm

I hope someone here can help me because "m at my wits end. My system has worked perfectly for months until the other day where I got the Viewing Conflict message.
This would sometimes happen when my Ceton USB needed a reboot. But this time nothing I did would fix it. I removed and re added WMC and that temporarily allowed the WMC Reciever service to start but after a reboot it failed again.

So since I was out of options, I decided to just bite the bullet and reload my system from ZERO.
All was working fine until the last step where I added my Xbox as extender. As soon as I did this I had the EXACT same issues as before and the EHRECVR service wouldn't start. I did however notice that the Media Extender Service was added after I entered the XBOX pairing code.
I found that if I disabled that service and restart my WMC Server the EHRECVR service would start and I can watch live tv on the server. Good news but I can use my XBOX and this is the main TV in the house.

Has anyone run into this problem?
Can someone suggest a fix?

Please write back as I'm just out of options.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:04 am

I would have to guess it is some other software you are running that is causing the issue (antivirus?). I'm sorry I don't have a a better suggestion but this just isn't normal behavior, especially from a clean install.

bradc

Post by bradc » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:48 pm

I found the answer.
It appears that after a fresh load and all working well locally it fails as soon as I added my first Xbox as extender.
The extender service caused the Media Center Receiver service to fail. As soon as you try and restart the service an error is displayed and it fails to start.
So since this all started with the extender service being installed I decided to DISABLE the extender service and then restart the computer. Once that was done, the receiver service started without errors. So knowing that the extender service was the cause and since without it you can't watch WMC anywhere but where the server is I had to figure this out.

I looked through a bunch of posts and found this in a post:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... ?f=8&t=443

Run services.msc
Locate "Media Centre Extender Service", open and go to the "Log On" tab.
Change login credentials from "Local account" to "This account"
Put "Local Service" in the account name and blank out both password fields.
Click okay
Start the Media Centre Extender Service. It should work just fine now.

This fixed my issue.