Home Sports Bar multi displays

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Ed 

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Ed  » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:28 pm

There are two ways to do this.

1) Set one Xbox to be controlled via a WMC remote only (in Xbox settings), and another to be controlled via a Xbox remote only. Then you could control each Xbox independently via the 2 remotes (this would require you purchase a Xbox remote and WMC remote). Or, still doing this, have a Harmony remote with one device set/programed to the Xbox remote, and one to a WMC remote. This way you could control both with one physical remote, just having to change inputs to select each Xbox.

2) Purchase the Ceton MMC app and control each Xbox independently from your smartphone/tablet.

Doing the first option w/ the Harmony remote is what I suggest - You'll be able to control each Xbox and each TV from the Harmony.

dtm1017

Post by dtm1017 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:36 pm

Ed  wrote:There are two ways to do this.

1) Set one Xbox to be controlled via a WMC remote only (in Xbox settings), and another to be controlled via a Xbox remote only. Then you could control each Xbox independently via the 2 remotes (this would require you purchase a Xbox remote and WMC remote). Or, still doing this, have a Harmony remote with one device set/programed to the Xbox remote, and one to a WMC remote. This way you could control both with one physical remote, just having to change inputs to select each Xbox.

2) Purchase the Ceton MMC app and control each Xbox independently from your smartphone/tablet.

Doing the first option w/ the Harmony remote is what I suggest - You'll be able to control each Xbox and each TV from the Harmony.
What exactly is different between the WMC and Xbox remote settings? I assume the functionality is still the same, it is just sending different IR codes?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:39 pm

Yes, I believe they just send different IR codes. The WMC remote also won't have any corresponding functions for A/B/X/Y buttons on the Xbox (and some other buttons/features) - but if you plan on staying in WMC all the time - that shouldn't matter.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:07 pm

Ed  wrote:Yes, I believe they just send different IR codes. The WMC remote also won't have any corresponding functions for A/B/X/Y buttons on the Xbox (and some other buttons/features) - but if you plan on staying in WMC all the time - that shouldn't matter.
I've never owned an xbox but I'm quite certain xbox is the same ir codes. MC, Xbox and extenders all share the same ir codes. I only now MC to be capable of diffrentiating remote controls with the original MC remote by assigning it a number 0-9.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:29 pm

mcewinter wrote:
Ed  wrote:Yes, I believe they just send different IR codes. The WMC remote also won't have any corresponding functions for A/B/X/Y buttons on the Xbox (and some other buttons/features) - but if you plan on staying in WMC all the time - that shouldn't matter.
I've never owned an xbox but I'm quite certain xbox is the same ir codes. MC, Xbox and extenders all share the same ir codes. I only now MC to be capable of diffrentiating remote controls with the original MC remote by assigning it a number 0-9.

No, the IR codes are different; I just confirmed it on my Xbox. When set to 'Xbox Media Remote only' (what my Harmony is set up as), a WMC remote won't control the Xbox (thus, it's sending different IR codes). The problem is - there isn't a 'WMC only' option; I was mistaken on that. There is only 'Use both remotes' (WMC and Xbox remotes) and 'Xbox Media Remote only' (and confirmed WMC remote won't work with this option set). So it seems like the Ceton MMC option is it. The other way, you would have one remote that controls 1 Xbox, and one remote that controlled both. If there was a 3rd option for 'WMC remote only' it would have worked. Oh well.

Another option I just thought of, OP could use an actual 360 gamepad/controller for one Xbox, and then a Harmony remote for the other and 2 TV sets - set the Harmony up as a WMC remote and set one to be controlled by both (the Harmony would control this one), and one set to Xbox Media remote only which would be controlled by the 360 controller (or pair a 360 controller to each Xbox and have the remote for just the TV sets). Each Xbox will come with a controller so he will at the very least have a way to control each one independently, even if not with a 'remote'. So either that, or the Ceton option (and OP could get a tablet/smart phone with IR port -if he doesn't already have one - and control everything from the one device). So, there's still a couple of ways to do it - OP just has to choose what's best for him.

dtm1017

Post by dtm1017 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:03 pm

Ed  wrote: No, the IR codes are different; I just confirmed it on my Xbox. When set to 'Xbox Media Remote only' (what my Harmony is set up as), a WMC remote won't control the Xbox (thus, it's sending different IR codes). The problem is - there isn't a 'WMC only' option; I was mistaken on that. There is only 'Use both remotes' (WMC and Xbox remotes) and 'Xbox Media Remote only' (and confirmed WMC remote won't work with this option set). So it seems like the Ceton MMC option is it. The other way, you would have one remote that controls 1 Xbox, and one remote that controlled both. If there was a 3rd option for 'WMC remote only' it would have worked. Oh well.

Another option I just thought of, OP could use an actual 360 gamepad/controller for one Xbox, and then a Harmony remote for the other and 2 TV sets - set the Harmony up as a WMC remote and set one to be controlled by both (the Harmony would control this one), and one set to Xbox Media remote only which would be controlled by the 360 controller (or pair a 360 controller to each Xbox and have the remote for just the TV sets). Each Xbox will come with a controller so he will at the very least have a way to control each one independently, even if not with a 'remote'. So either that, or the Ceton option (and OP could get a tablet/smart phone with IR port -if he doesn't already have one - and control everything from the one device). So, there's still a couple of ways to do it - OP just has to choose what's best for him.

Thanks for your response. I was thinking that is a possible option as well (with the 360 gamepad controller). Is the WMC remote bluetooth like the controllers are? I thought it was IR. I could cover up the IR on on of the Xboxs and thus the Harmony remote would just control the other Xbox and the TVs. Once a gamepad controller is "paired" with it's respective xbox does it stay paired? I would hate if it started pairing with the Xbox that I am able to control with the Harmony remote.

Could you go into more details on the Centon option? If the Centon app needs a smartphone with IR, doesn't that take us back to square one? What can the Centon app do to differentiate between the two devices? Unless I am just misunderstanding you and the IR would be for the TVs and IR Xbox and the app could control the other Xbox via IP...?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:23 pm

dtm1017 wrote:Thanks for your response. I was thinking that is a possible option as well (with the 360 gamepad controller). Is the WMC remote bluetooth like the controllers are? I thought it was IR. I could cover up the IR on on of the Xboxs and thus the Harmony remote would just control the other Xbox and the TVs. Once a gamepad controller is "paired" with it's respective xbox does it stay paired? I would hate if it started pairing with the Xbox that I am able to control with the Harmony remote.

Could you go into more details on the Ceton option? If the Ceton app needs a smartphone with IR, doesn't that take us back to square one? What can the Ceton app do to differentiate between the two devices? Unless I am just misunderstanding you and the IR would be for the TVs and IR Xbox and the app could control the other Xbox via IP...?
The 360 doesn't have bluetooth. The remotes (WMC and Xbox Media Remote) work over IR (just with different commands for each individual action - that's how the Xbox can distinguish between the 2 remotes). The contollers works over a proprietary wireless tech Microsoft developed. I forget the exact details about it.

Once you pair a gamepad/controller, it stays paired to the corresponding Xbox in between shutdowns or even when replacing the batteries in the controllers - no worries there.

The Ceton option will just use WiFi from the smartphone/tablet, but you would still need a remote(s) for your TV sets - this is where the IR I mentioned would come into play. With a smartphone/tablet with IR, you would then be able to control the Xboxs (WiFi) and the TV sets (IR) all from one device. That's the only reason I mentioned it. With a smartphone/tablet without IR, you can still control the Xboxs, but like I mentioned, would then still need a remote(s) for the TV sets.

dtm1017

Post by dtm1017 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:23 pm

Ed  wrote:
The 360 doesn't have bluetooth. The remotes (WMC and Xbox Media Remote) work over IR (just with different commands for each individual action - that's how the Xbox can distinguish between the 2 remotes). The contollers works over a proprietary wireless tech Microsoft developed. I forget the exact details about it.

Once you pair a gamepad/controller, it stays paired to the corresponding Xbox in between shutdowns or even when replacing the batteries in the controllers - no worries there.

The Ceton option will just use WiFi from the smartphone/tablet, but you would still need a remote(s) for your TV sets - this is where the IR I mentioned would come into play. With a smartphone/tablet with IR, you would then be able to control the Xboxs (WiFi) and the TV sets (IR) all from one device. That's the only reason I mentioned it. With a smartphone/tablet without IR, you can still control the Xboxs, but like I mentioned, would then still need a remote(s) for the TV sets.
Thanks Ed. Just got TV's today. Exited to get everything hooked up.