InfiniTV Signal Advice

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
tmb017

HTPC Specs: Show details

InfiniTV Signal Advice

Post by tmb017 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:46 pm

I'm getting around to adding a second InfiniTV 4 to my setup whenever TWC decides to send out the Cable Card i requested. My current card gets signal strengths that are typically -7.5 to -5.0 dBmV. I have a Electroline 4-way amp outside the house and runs entering the house in four different locations. The output that comes into the office where the Media Center PC is then has a 2-way passive splitter for the InfiniTV and STA1520. At the time of setup there were cable boxes at other locations throughout the house hence the 4-way amp. After a trial period, the cable boxes have been returned and the office PC is now handling all the TV duties. I do have a cable modem hooked up in one of the other locations. What would be the best practice for wiring for another card. Should I replace the amp outside with a one or two output amp and then use a passive 4-way splitter in the office? Should I install a passive splitter outside and move the 4-way amp to the office and run the 4 outputs to the two cards and two tuning adapters? Anyone with multiple InfiniTV's have suggestions for best possible signal? Thanks.

makryger

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by makryger » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:43 pm

I don't have multiple ceton cards, but there are a few general principles of cabling that are important to know.

1) To maintain the highest signal strength as possible, you will want to split your signal as few times as possible. Each time you split your signal, you lost signal strength.
2) To maintain the best Signal to Noise ratio, you should try to have as few splitters in line as possible. In other words, its better to split your signal 3 times using one 3-way splitter, rather than 3 times using 2 two-way splitters. It's as if your degrading an already degraded signal with that second splitter.
3) The amplifier should be placed as close to where the cable signal enters your house as possible. This is because the signal degrades as you go through the line and multiple splitters, and you dont want to amplify a degraded signal. Think of it like a jpeg. If you have a really large jpeg and make it twice as large, then start making it progressively smaller, the image will still look decent. But if you have a jpeg that is really small, its already lost a lot of the information, so making it twice as large will not add anything to image quality, and in fact, will make it look worse.

So if I understand your setup, you will now have one internet router somewhere in your house, and two cetons requiring signals. Ideally, you should have a 3-way amp that undergoes no more splitting. Or if that doesn't work for the two cetons, then a 2-way amp and a two-way passive splitter next to the HTPC would be the next best option. If you aren't in the mood for buying any new equipment, then you should keep the amp outside, split it into internet and tv, and then use your 2 way splitter near the two cetons.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC