InfiniTV

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
STC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by STC » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:23 pm

Cool beans! - Now to enjoy 4 red dots in the guide :D
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:43 am

Glad you got the ceton up and running. Its a great piece of hardware. Wish I had more room on that Asus board for another one.. I'm waiting on the external version so I can add more tuners and share them with the rest of the PC's in the house. The Ceton has been rock solid for me since day one you should be very happy with it.
newfiend

nadspink

Post by nadspink » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:18 am

hey richard1980, was wondering what kind of copy protection you have down in oklahoma city? i just got my card in yesterday and was curious about what to expect. i know none of my clear qam broadcast have ever been copy once but that might just be clear qam's setup.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:43 am

Everything except ClearQAM is copy-once for me.

nadspink

Post by nadspink » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:43 pm

thanks. just installed the caed in my office pc just so i could see what the setup was like. i thought i had read somewhere that the newest drivers allowed clear qam without a cablecard. just ordered my truck roll for wednesday and was surprised when the operator asked me if the cablecard was going into a tivo or htpc. no argument or fuss whatsoever when i said a pc. does cox charge a digital gateway charge in okc? i thought a digital gateway was a tuning adapter but the phone tech said it wasn't additional hardware he just couldn't process the order without adding it.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:04 am

Yes, I have to pay for digital gateway, although I think they call it advanced TV gateway or something like that. Supposedly that is what you have to pay for to get access to the digital tiers, though if you have a cable box it is also what pays for the EPG and on-demand. But I love how I still have to pay it even though I don't have a cable box and can't use their EPG or their on-demand. So basically, it's just a fee I have to pay to get the right to pay for more channels. I love it.

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:16 am

nadspink wrote:hey richard1980, was wondering what kind of copy protection you have down in oklahoma city? i just got my card in yesterday and was curious about what to expect. i know none of my clear qam broadcast have ever been copy once but that might just be clear qam's setup.
As long as you're on the subject, I've started a post to track provider info. If ya get a sec, add yours plz.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... p?f=6&t=65
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

nadspink

Post by nadspink » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:01 pm

got my card up and working. had a small issue with the playready update problem but got it figured out using the resetdrm.exe tool from microsoft. happy to have hd back. cox has added alot more hd channels in the past 6 months, to bad most of them are subed.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:27 pm

Is anyone running the latest beta firmware in their tuner? Any unforeseen issues?
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

nadspink

Post by nadspink » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:16 pm

playready needs an update of some sort. someone should figure out how to use it to compremise a syatem that way microsoft would pay more attention to it. just so everyone knows, resetdrm.exe won't run after sp1. it gives an incompatibility error that isn't fixed when ran in compatibility mode. that or my second system just sucks. could go either way.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:18 am

Scallica, my advice, if you choose to use it, is only to install the beta if;
a) You have an issue with your card that the beta addresses
b) You are signed up for the beta with Ceton - You will have issues if you are not

If your card is working without any problems (attributed to the Ceton card, and not any other component in your rig) then I would advise not to install beta firmware, just like any other piece of electronic kit you have.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:20 am

nadspink - what are you trying to say? I really don't understand your post, and I'm sorry but haven't got a clue until you re-post.

nadspink

Post by nadspink » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:18 pm

the problems with the playready update. it happened to me when i installed the ceton card in my primary htpc and again on the client htpc in the bedroom when i networking one of the tuners. it seems to be a problem that goes way back with microsoft OS'es. i saying that if someone could find a way to use it as a hack and compromise a group of pc users then microsoft would probably flag it as a security threat and actually do something about it. as it is, it pretty much only applies htpc users so they don't really care about it.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:40 pm

We Cannot talk about hacking here. Even theoretically :). Only legal projects please :)

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:40 pm

If there is a flaw, turning it into a security threat certainly seems to be the way to get Microsoft to pay attention. Perfect example: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/securi ... 1-015.mspx

STC

Post by STC » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:51 pm

I should rephrase,

It's touchy ground. By all means highlight a vulnerability but we should not cross a line and discuss how to breach it. Does that make sense? Im not sure how to put my point across.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:58 pm

STC, my comment was not directed at you. Looking at the post times, we posted at the same time...I guess you were just a few seconds faster than me.

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:08 pm

I'd take it a step futher the stc... FIRST thing I would do has nothing to do with the PC. Trace back your coax cable from the PC to the entry point of the house. Remove as many splits as possible. Make sure your cable is in good shape and the ends are good (compression ends, not the radioshack special screw on crap). If you must have splitters in place, make sure the lines going from start to PC are on the lowest DB LOSS leg possible for that splitter (ie, if you have a 3-way splitter, make sure the line going to the Ceton is on the -3db vs the -7's).

These steps are JUST AS IMPORTANT as the PC configuration itself. Bad or weak signal will make your troubleshooting life hell.
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

nadspink

Post by nadspink » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:14 pm

its not a cabling issue, it's a drm issue. actually i shouldn't say that as my situation seem to be fixed by shuting down windows firewall. on microsofts site if you do a search for playready you'll see all the threads on the issue. i'm sure some are simple problems like mine but many are definitely drm issues. i believe on my main machine it was a drm issue. on the secondary machine i'm not really sure what fixed it as i tried so many different things. i just concluded that it was the firewall ass that was the last thing that i tried and it worked. as for the hacking comment i do apologize. i do not endorse hacking, it's just frustrating to be sitting there with the cox installer and you can't fully verify that your cablecard install is working because of a playready update error.

nadspink

Post by nadspink » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:12 pm

this might be a stupid question, but has anyone been able to get pay-per-view with their cablecard service (tivo, ceton or anything else)? cox techs of course say it can't be done of course but i thought i had heard some locations on the west coast were able to get it.