InfiniTV PCIe to ETH transition?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
jaimeknapp

HTPC Specs: Show details

InfiniTV PCIe to ETH transition?

Post by jaimeknapp » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:21 pm

I have had the PCIe-4 and four extenders (3 XBox & 1 Echo) in service in a "stock" Media Center environment for nearly 2-years relatively trouble free. The recent firmware update failed, I opened a ticket (GAS-724-74493) and received a response that it has suffered a hardware failure and has been passed off to the RMA department. Reading further, the memory failure seems to be the core of the problem. Since the card is out of warranty, I have not yet responded to Ceton.

Not knowing whether the PCIe memory issue does, or may, cause problems beyond the inability to upgrade the firmware, I need to develop a plan of action. Given my spousal situation, I cannot be without a working tuner system for any more time than is absolutely necessary, measurable in minutes. For the sake of expediency, what I am considering is:

1 - Procuring an InfiniTV6 ETH and move the existing CableCard and TA to the ETH and then remove the PCIe-4.

2 - Procuring a PCIe-6 and simply swapping it with the existing PCIe-4.

Either way, I know I will have to go through the channel setup again, but I *think* the CableCard activation should stay between the CableCard and TA. All the PlayReady and DRM issues are not tied to the tuner & CC, and should remain as is. For anyone who has been through this, is it as simple as that?

I know that changing to the ETH has an advantage in case the Media Center PC itself requires changing, but there seems to be more issues with the ETH than the PCIe.

I would really appreciate input from those that have been through the process of swapping and/or upgrading devices and what issues may arise that I have not foreseen.

Thanks.

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:53 pm

If it is working right now, I probably wouldn't bother... it has been an issue many times that ceton products refuse to update. I wouldn't count on more than 3 updates on any ceton product but for some it has been more and others less... I have one that I have changed firmware with a dozen times and others that have been not so lucky. Even the echo has had this "same" problem as the tuners with upgrading firmware as if their parts supplier is providing 3rd rate parts to handle this (I hate to be hard on Ceton as I really do like both the infinitv and the echo, it is just I have seen this update issue many times both in person and read about in forums) When it comes to these products I generally recommend that if it ain't broke don't fix but many who go the cablecard route always have to have the latest and greatest so they update their firmware unnecessarily. I only updated to the latest as I was having issues updating CableCARD firmware that was becoming an annoyance and that was one of the issues the new firmware said it might fix.

Sometimes swapping a CableCARD can be a worse nightmare than getting a new one so I usually suggest picking up another card than moving it... if it is a moto card, and you are on a provider that doesn't protect much, it can be a little easier... often with not even needing to pair the card with the new device except for protected channels. Too often I have seen them not fully/properly remove a card and they need to find that special person to purge all traces of the card out of their system before that card can be reprovisioned... often it is easier when it is moved on the same account but not always. What sometimes happens is you get the card up and running on the new device and a few hours later (or overnight) their auditing system kicks in and removes the new pairing as there is a record of it being paired with another device.

I only mention this as you seem to want minimal down time, and I personally would probably try moving it to see how well your provider handles it, its been years since I have had issues, but wanted to give you fair warning you may need to go out and pick up another card so make sure you have the time for that in case things don't go well.

DRM is tied to the computer no the tuner so replacement isn't an isue for your current recordings (though might be for one of your reasons getting an ETH) If your network and signal are good, I see no worse problems with the ETH than the pcie.

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:33 pm

The ETH (and probably the PCIe 6) don't have a problem flashing firmware anymore. I've flashed the firmware a number of times on the ETH during testing.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:34 pm

I did option 1 without issue. Anytime you plug a cable card into a different device, you have to call and activate. This could take more than a few minutes. TA should keep working. No Playready or DRM issues, as you said.

I went with ETH mainly because of heat issues in my case, easier tuner sharing and easier hardware swapping.

Ceton will probably offer to repair your InfiniTV 4 for $35. I've had that done as well with good results.

jaimeknapp

Post by jaimeknapp » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:22 pm

I have received an RMA from Ceton for a $25 repair, a $139 refurbished PCIe6, or $199 new PCIe6.

These require return of mine first, so I am leaning toward replacing mine with an ETH first, then send it in for repair. Hopefully the RMA will be good for 30-days (?).

Thanks all.