One channel stopped working but has full signal

vanillatoast

HTPC Specs: Show details

One channel stopped working but has full signal

Post by vanillatoast » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:34 am

I have an antenna connected to my WMC box and my TV. We really only use WMC for recording shows--we use it through an extender on the Xbox connected to the TV. For live TV we just watch it through the TV tuner. My local Fox affiliate has always had a strong enough signal that I never remember any dropouts of any kind as long as I've lived in my house. But I had something weird happen on Sunday. I was watching a football game on the TV and switched to the Xbox to start recording it. It was recording something else on a different channel so when I tried to start recording on Fox, it brought up the conflict message and gave me the prompt to stop recording the original show.

From that point on I have not been able to get a signal to show up in WMC for Fox. When I tried to watch live TV on that channel it gives me the "no signal" message. But the TV itself can pick up Fox with no dropouts. In WMC all other channels work as they did before.

I've re-done the tuner setup, scanned for new channels, and used the signal strength utility. Fox shows up under the same channel it always has, and I consistently get a full green signal meter on that channel. It just won't work when I actually go to watch it.

Has anyone ever heard of something like this? Everything seems to point toward the signal strength being just fine. What it feels like is that WMC's configuration for that channel was somehow "broken" when I tried to switch the recording. It had even recorded a show on Fox earlier that day. I'm thinking I might disable and reinstall the tuner card but reconfiguring the Xbox extender is a pain in the neck, so I'd love a simpler solution if there is one. Thanks!

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:48 am

you dont make clear if u use it always thru an extender. if so have you tried and see if all ok not thru the extender? if you can watch live tvon that channel on monitor connected to the WMC then u know it the extender fault? if still no then some thing amiss with PC/WMC?

vanillatoast

Post by vanillatoast » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:10 pm

mercalia wrote:you dont make clear if u use it always thru an extender. if so have you tried and see if all ok not thru the extender? if you can watch live tvon that channel on monitor connected to the WMC then u know it the extender fault? if still no then some thing amiss with PC/WMC?
The same thing happens through the extender and directly on the WMC box. I only occasionally watch directly on the PC but I've never had anything behave differently between the two including with this problem.

vanillatoast

Post by vanillatoast » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:54 pm

I couldn't find the solution to this until I searched the exact text of the error, then a whole bunch of threads showed up. I found the solution at the end of this thread: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5&t=2257. In short you can right click a channel in the guide to get to an edit sources menu, where you can see whether there are multiple sources registered in WMC for a given channel. In my case an incorrect signal (or lack thereof) was associated with the Fox channel. Removing it fixed the problem.

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:31 pm

ah unlucky u. that has never happened to me in the uk WMC selects only the strong sources, the others usually only 70%. I have 2 tuner cards and one dont like particular channels so I change the tuner priority there also