barnabas1969 Where For Art Thy Gone?

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
holidayboy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by holidayboy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:23 pm

^ I'm afraid not. Sorry.

He had more than enough "last chances".

His final last chance really did mean last chance and he had it.

Sometimes there is just no going back.

We do listen to feedback but this is one decision that is not open to debate.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:17 pm

spanner wrote:Some will miss him, Some won't
Ceton won't. If they hosted their own forums it would matter much less and he probably wouldn't have found the need to be as vocal regarding his experience with their products.

spanner

Post by spanner » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:35 pm

mcewinter wrote:
spanner wrote:Some will miss him, Some won't
Ceton won't. If they hosted their own forums it would matter much less and he probably wouldn't have found the need to be as vocal regarding his experience with their products.
As vocal as calling a first time poster a Liar when they wanted to post their success story with their new HTPC. At times it became near impossible to have a discussion about a Ceton product pro or con. I don't know the reason for the ban and will miss his expertise But wont miss his crusade.

RyC

Post by RyC » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:06 pm

Yeah I won't miss him saying Echo users must be on drugs

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:18 pm

I'm glad when a forum runs a tight ship! There's no room for rudeness when folks are just trying to help one another with whatever the issue might be.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:57 pm

Ceton "used" this forum to promote the echo. Any vitriol they got they deserved as far as I'm concerned. They cut corners on hardware and couldn't deliver.
MANY broken promises...
Rudeness to other users is bad but a permanent ban>harsh.
I'd just say every time he oversteps a month ban no warning.
To be honest though the way WMC is going the forum won't be around for long as the user base disappears!
Lee

spanner

Post by spanner » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:29 pm

milli260876 wrote:Ceton "used" this forum to promote the echo. Any vitriol they got they deserved as far as I'm concerned. They cut corners on hardware and couldn't deliver.
MANY broken promises...
Rudeness to other users is bad but a permanent ban>harsh.
I'd just say every time he oversteps a month ban no warning.
To be honest though the way WMC is going the forum won't be around for long as the user base disappears!
I did not mean to suggest rudeness was the reason for the ban, I for sure dont know. As for the life of the forum you Might be right, but I can see myself using WMC for some time to come. I still dont see a HTPC replacement that works as well for me. Also The HTPC WMC new user has I think a much easier time getting things up and running than we did with the first WMC, and maybe not quite the same need for forum help. Anyway mine has been so trouble free for so long I check back out of habit and in the hope of something new.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:24 pm

Rudeness and "Ceton bashing" were not the final nail in the coffin.

My main career involves working in the construction industry, I spend a lot of time on building sites and am well versed in colourful language, the behaviour and language used went beyond what anybody would call acceptable.

Personal insults and threatening behaviour came into play and we had no choice but to act.

Without putting on my rose tinted specs, the whole point of tgb.tv is to try and recreate the type of community that we had at tgb.com and I'm confident that the type of behaviour we are talking about wouldn't have been acceptable there either.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:32 pm

holidayboy wrote:Rudeness and "Ceton bashing" were not the final nail in the coffin.

My main career involves working in the construction industry, I spend a lot of time on building sites and am well versed in colourful language, the behaviour and language used went beyond what anybody would call acceptable.

Personal insults and threatening behaviour came into play and we had no choice but to act.

Without putting on my rose tinted specs, the whole point of tgb.tv is to try and recreate the type of community that we had at tgb.com and I'm confident that the type of behaviour we are talking about wouldn't have been acceptable there either.
if that's the case then Rob I can't fault you, too many people doing that kind of thing these days. Twitter is disgraceful for famous people, some people are really kinda awful....
Lee

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:07 am

agreed, can't fault you. "Threatening behavior" on a silly internet forum? That's messed up and over the line. No reason to tolerate that.

john321

Post by john321 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:22 am

Wow. I never knew this thread existed. Thanks to all of you.

I never "threatened" anyone. There was an over-zealous moderator (... cough... Stone The Crows... cough...) who really didn't like me... and when I called him out, things got messy.

The guy would edit my posts routinely just because I capitalized a word for emphasis. I wasn't "screaming" at anyone, I just wanted to emphasize a word. And, STC would change my post.

When I called him out, he would delete my posts.

When I got really angry about his editing/deleting my posts... he banned me.

I've moved on. I'm using a Tivo BOLT DVR now, and I modified it with 5TB of storage. The Tivo MINI units also work very well.

john321

Post by john321 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:15 am

richard1980 wrote: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:50 am
adam1991 wrote:
Ed  wrote:
I think he is. After his initial banning, he made an obvious dupe account and took things too far in retaliation, from what I heard.
I swear, I must hang out in the wrong places. I never saw any of this.
Same here, although I haven't been as active here as I once was. Perhaps that is why.
Richard,

You are, by far, the most respected person on this forum.

STC... not so much.

john321

Post by john321 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:32 am

If you ever want to talk with me, email me at brianr69@gmail.com.

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:01 pm

john321 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:32 am If you ever want to talk with me, email me at brianr69@gmail.com.
Interesting choice of new username ....

But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.

spanner

Post by spanner » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:43 am

adam1991 wrote: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:47 pm can we--that is, the user base--invite him back? Can we talk the mods into giving another chance?
Not everyone would want this

john321

Post by john321 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:48 am

volfan6415 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:01 pm
john321 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:32 am If you ever want to talk with me, email me at brianr69@gmail.com.
I have used this same gmail address since gmail was first offered by invitation-only.

It is composed of my first name (brian), the first initial of my surname (r) and my birth year (1969).

It was common to compose an email address in this manner when Gmail first came into existence.

Oh... and if you mean the "john321" user name... I chose it for the generic-ness of it.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:04 pm

john321 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:22 amI've moved on. I'm using a Tivo BOLT DVR now, and I modified it with 5TB of storage. The Tivo MINI units also work very well.
I, too, have moved on. Plex DVR on Synology NAS. It all came together when they went back to Gracenote, and also did commercial skip the right way--nondestructive.

And I have to say, their tuning of comskip is almost flawless. But then, all I record anymore are national network OTA prime time shows, so maybe it's just me.

But I will always remember my many years with WMC and the Ceton card, back when I had cable TV. I also had Echo units. And things worked well. Although, I have to say I cut the cord when it appeared that something happened with my Ceton card--it wouldn't authenticate. Rather than spend lots of time troubleshooting it and trying to fix it, I just decided it was time to cut the cord and put up an antenna, and use Netflix and Hulu.

Also about that time, Hulu was starting to ramp up very strongly with showing major network shows the next day. They do a great job of that.

I've always hated linear appointment TV and commercials. ReplayTV showed me the way and set the bar, and WMC to this day remains the best DVR ever. But that's like saying the Courier Dual Standard still on my shelf is the best modem ever; while that statement is true, its day is gone. And so it goes with DVR. Sure, I still record 6-7 network shows every week; but if that went away, my life truly wouldn't change. I know that for a fact. I already went through that with cutting out cable TV.

I'm even using Hulu to discover major network shows from years ago that I never heard of when they were new. There are only so many hours in the day, and there's more than enough content on Hulu and Netflix to fill the time.

BTW, two Hulu/Netflix recommendations for a rainy day: Money Plane and The Vault (2021).

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:09 am

Oh wow. Hey Brian. I'm glad you're back after so much time. I check TGB every so often to see who's doing what and I'm amazed that MC is still available out in the wild.

Plex and Silicondust are my drivers these days. SD for view live TV and recording and Plex to playback as it will skip commercials equipped with a 3-tuner Prime. Cable TV is a lower priority in my household these days but still love having a homegrown entertainment solution. I'm using Windows 10 for a Plex server/DVR, etc. and is rather unexciting server software by today's comparisons but I find it hard to escape the familiarity of Windows. That will be the next venture as there are several options swimming around my head.

I'm so glad MC still has life. Long live TGB.

john321

Post by john321 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:42 am

volfan6415 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:01 pm

But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.
I don't know why I didn't catch the biblical reference to John 3:21 back when I first read this... but, that verse is appropriate to this thread.

john321

Post by john321 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:24 am

Last edited by john321 on Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.