Storage alternatives for record, watch and delete

stevethebrain

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by stevethebrain » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:18 pm

I’ve been using HDDs for recorded TV storage just curious what else you Guy’s are using?

I have my archived recordings on HDD which are still plugged into the PC
Would it be a good idea to remove them from PC because they are on a four year rotation?

I know there’s new techonoglies for storage unsure of what to use for everyday use where I never intead on saving.
Like SSDs & flash drives (thumbdrives) don’t they have a limited # of writes and these mite not be a good idea to use for everyday record,watch and delete.

Lastly I would like a easy way to copy WTV recordings to DVD however a one hour show is usalley much larger than a 4.7GB DVD
any suggestions w/ step by step instructions.

Thanks STB

cadams8221218

Post by cadams8221218 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:40 pm

I have an lg bluray burner got it from microcenter for i think less then 100 a year ago, u can burn up to 23 gigs per disc, or you can convert them then burn them to a dvd.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:42 pm

not sure on the HDD's if it makes any difference if they are in or out of a PC (other than powered on or not)...as for SSD's, they have a pretty long cycle of writes (in the peta-byte range). There was a segment recently on Tekzilla about that...But the issue is size/cost, since speed really isn't an issue on streaming in/out the data from a recording.

So if you can afford the costs involved for the space you need, I say - sure, why not? On the other hand, it all depends on if you are really recording a lot of stuff that even if not archived, sits around for a few weeks/months...