Guide Tool query

RobsterUK

HTPC Specs: Show details

Guide Tool query

Post by RobsterUK » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:52 pm

I have an odd scenario occurring where I have a few channels missing from my line up, but when I scan the exact transponder it doesn't find anything new.

It happened a while ago and I'm mainly concerned about BBC Three HD.
I use Guide Tool and I cannot find the channel in the list anywhere.
It was there once, something wired happened (like windows crashing i think) and now its missing.
If I scan the transponder 10847 - 23000 Vertical on Astra 2E it doesn't find anything new.

So the channel must be in there somewhere.

Anyway I've used Guide Tool to 'EXPORT XMF' to an xml file and searched it in Notepad++.
I've found BBC THREE HD and compared it to a know working channel: BBC ONE HD
These are the differences under a <MergedChannel> heading
BBC THREE HD visibility="NotTunable" channelType="Scanned" isSuggestedBlocked="True" isEncrypted="True"
BBC ONE HD visibility="Available" channelType="AutoMapped" isSuggestedBlocked="False" isEncrypted="False"

So 2 questions....
What if this XMF that I've exported. Where is the local copy stored, what is the file location?
Do you think i can just edit the XMF to 'turn on' the channel again?

Any help would be appreciated, as this has been driving me nuts!

Cheers,
Rob

sorethumbs

Post by sorethumbs » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:51 am

Just an idea - Have you 'hidden' the channel?

Use the 'tick' symbol to display all channels whether encrypted or not and see if its in the list and re-enable it

RobsterUK

Post by RobsterUK » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:18 pm

Nice thought, but yeah I've searched Guide Tool with all channels showing.

I've since seen this posting on MSDN http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 76338.aspx
I may just try exporting a current MXF from guide tool. Copy it (as a backup of current version.)
Then try editing the fields above and use this guide to re-import it.

I'll let you know of the results!

RobsterUK

Post by RobsterUK » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:10 pm

I've tried exporting the mxf and editing in notepad++

Have used the loadmxf.exe tool within ehome folder to load the file in wmc. Then re-run the ReindexSearchRoot scheduled task.

Channel hasn't shown up. I have re-exported the mxf file and the changes i made haven't saved.
So I'm not sure what else to try by going down this path. Don't think that editing the mxf file is going to work.

Funny thing though, while searching for the term :visibility="NotTunable": it shows only the channels that I'm missing. Which is rather curious.
Something has obviously happened to change the status of these and hide them from WMC.
Just cannot figure out what. They should be tune-able as they are free to air BBC channels.

sorethumbs

Post by sorethumbs » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:48 pm

Have you tried setting it all up again from scratch? I know its a bit drastic but maybe that's the only way.

What tuner do you use? I have a TBS6981 and it found BBC3 HD fine

RobsterUK

Post by RobsterUK » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:51 pm

Yea I've got the TBS6981 too.
It has occurred to me that the only way would be to re-setup all of the channels again. But to be honest I'm trying to avoid that.
A previous attempt to restore a Guide Tool backup didn't work properly & even using Guide Tool, it takes a few hours to get all of the channels setup properly again!

sorethumbs

Post by sorethumbs » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:04 am

I've recently set up my satellite again, it didn't take me too long in the end. If you know the channels you need (if you're like me and ignore the majority of the chaff shopping, radio & religious stuff) its fairly easy to highlight huge chunks of channels with guide tool and disable them to get the list right down to the necessities.

It may be worth it just to get those channels back that you've had issues with. I expect you've spent just as long trying to figure out why they haven't shown up as you would have just starting over again.