HDMI and sleep issues with new TV

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
gregcra

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDMI and sleep issues with new TV

Post by gregcra » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:25 pm

Hi - I decided to upgrade my HTPC system from a Samsung 32inch (using vga) to Sharp 42 inch using HDMI. I now have 2 issues:

1) when I put it to sleep the TV complains about loosing the signal and displays a message like "NO SIGNAL" - before it seemed to put the TV in sleep mode. the TV is a Sharp LC-42lb261

2) but the bigger problem is the HDMI output is really crappy. Pixilated, slow, looks like I have the wrong video driver. My specs:
gigabyte h55-s2h motherboard (I'm using the onboard HDMI)
intel HD driver version: 8.15.10.2993 dated 1/30/2013
intel i3 540 cpu
ssd
windows 7 32bit
4gb ram

I think if I got a discrete video card it might solve the problem - but I didn't think I needed to with this MOBO?

thx
Greg

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:56 pm

Looks like you need to change your refresh to 60 hz. You also you need to be sure your running a supported screen resolution IE 1080p, 720p, etc. I checked for new TV firmware but there is none, also that appears to be the latest intel driver.

Did you try the directions in the manual: http://www.sharpusa.com/~/media/413FC3A ... 1FAF9.ashx

Could you try a DVI>HDMI or VGA?

Your likely not going to find a way to improve the sleep no signal issue. The bigger worry is if it never detects it when waking up but I don't think your having a problem with that.

gregcra

Post by gregcra » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:01 am

hi cwinfield - thank you for the reply. I did try the Sharp manual.. I also did VGA which worked fine (for vga) and dvi-hdmi worked poorly like straight hdmi. I bought a radeon card today because I got impatient and the hdmi from this card works fine with the tv. So that problem is solved.

I still have the sleep issue. Which is going to drive the wife nuts. Currently I use a single Microsoft remote which works great. One button powers on (and off) the htpc and tv. she's not going to like having to press 2 buttons (possibly on 2 remotes) to turn things on and off. My old tv worked fine. How would someone know if the 'sleep' function would work on a specific tv (until trying it). I'm open to getting a different tv if need be ( I have 14 days to return the new one).

thanks again.
Greg

ps.. you are correct, I also have a problem waking the tv back up :(