Syncing Recordings?

PLBarton

HTPC Specs: Show details

Syncing Recordings?

Post by PLBarton » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:17 pm

I am in the middle of converting from DirecTV to a hybrid cordcutter. I just installed an HDHomeRun Prime with a cablecard from Charter Cable with a $39 / month channel package. This was an almost $100 / month reduction. This allowed for hardware purchase with a very short ROI.

For my STB Setup I installed Windows 7 with WMC on an i7 / 16GB Mac Mini as my main system. This is directly connected to my living room TV. From there I installed a WMC extender on my XBOX 360 in my girls' playroom and this works really well. My lack of planning I purchased an Intel NUC for my bedroom and installed yet another instance of Windows 7 WMC. BTW, I put a 120 GB SSD and 8 GB ram in this little box and it really performs well. The problem I have now is separate TV series recordings. My thought would be to install MCEbuddy and convert the recorded shows to my NAS and have both boxes look there for recordings. Anyone experience with this? I am also looking at the Ceton Edge WMC extenders ~$100 to possibly provide TV access my girls' bedrooms. Are these worth the pricetag? Or can the old Linksys DMA2200 suffice?

Thanks for your responses.

PLBarton

mdavej

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mdavej » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:50 pm

Old Linksys is fine, but it won't wake your main WMC system like Xbox and Echo do, if that's ever an issue. But, from what I've seen, used Linksys aren't really any cheaper than new Echoes. Plus Echo is tiny, which is nice, and has some other nice functions like native video mode, custom menu strips and custom starting app (live, recorded tv, guide, whatever). If you do find some deals on old Linksys, please post them, as I'd like to pick up a few myself. But looks like slim pickin's at the moment. Realize also that used Xboxes also run around $100, so you could just get more of those.

As far as unified recordings, I don't think WMC can keep track if you ever move them. For example if two clients are recording the same series, which later gets copies to your NAS, then neither will be able to keep up with new, rerun or already recorded. Extender model works much better for that kind of thing.