No help screen, no burn to CD/DVD button, etc.

JimWebster

HTPC Specs: Show details

No help screen, no burn to CD/DVD button, etc.

Post by JimWebster » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:26 pm

Hello everyone,

I am running Windows 8.1 Pro and have just purchased and installed Windows Media Center. (It is not free if you have Pro.)

I have never used this program before and purchased it more specifically to be able to burn DVD's of old family photos, so they could be seen on a TV. The below being the link that convinced me to do so. (Detecting Windows 8.1, this is the link that the MS web site directed me to.)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-7

There is no BURN CD/DVD function under TASKS or "Pictures + Videos".
There is no HELP button and pressing Alt-H does nothing.
When you hover the mouse cursor over any button (etc.), no hints are given.
For the life of me I cannot even figure out what version of the program is installed.
My question to myself now is, "Why the heck did I buy this program?"

Can anyone give me some direction?

Thanks!
Jim Webster (Tennessee, USA)

tad

Post by tad » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:43 pm

Jim-

I have been using Windows Media Center for nearly a decade and never even knew it had the ability to create DVD slideshows from pictures. I have a feeling that very few of us on this forum knew about (or have ever used) this feature. Most of use Windows Media Center for recording and playing back TV, watching live TV, playing music from our music collection, or viewing pictures from our picture library.

From the link you provided, it appears that it is indeed possible to burn a DVD from your picture library within Media Center. Having never used this feature, I have no clue why it isn't working for you. Have you considered calling Microsoft's Tech Support line? Do you have a DVD burner in your computer with a blank disc?

Honestly, I recommend trying to get your money back from Microsoft and using a different program more suitable for creating DVD pictures slideshows. I think you can do this with Windows Movie Maker, which should be pre-installed on your PC (or free to download).

Best of luck.

oakley516

Post by oakley516 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:52 pm

JimWebster wrote:There is no BURN CD/DVD function under TASKS or "Pictures + Videos".
Jim, if you don't see the "burn cd/dvd" selection (outlined in yellow) under Tasks, then your DVD burner is not being recognized in your PC:
windows-media-center-tasks.PNG
Are you sure the drive is capable of burning discs? Have you used it previously to burn discs?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:52 am

The following was copied from: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 92ccef366d

Microsoft removed this function in Windows 8. You will need to buy an external program to do this. I haven't done this myself for a long time, but when I did, I used MCE buddy, http://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/releases - I can't vouch for how well it works on 8.1 as I've never tried it.

This doesn't mean you cant view your pictures on your TV. Open up WMC and go to Tasks/Settings/Media Libraries, add the folders where your pictures are saved, then they should be viewable on your WMC PC, as well as on any extenders that you may have. The picture I uploaded is from Win 7's WMC, I would expect Win 8's WMC to do the same.
Attachments
MyPictures.jpg