WMC Displays Blue Busy Wheel and Locks Up

tdarlington3

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC Displays Blue Busy Wheel and Locks Up

Post by tdarlington3 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:30 pm

The processor died a few days ago on the PC I normally use to record TV using WMC and a HD HomeRun Prime.
I setup a Windows 8.1 Pro Intel i7 machine to take its place.
Everything worked fine for a day.
Then if I open WMC after about 15 seconds I get the blue busy circular wheel.
When this happens WMC is completely unresponsive.
After a few minutes the WMC screen goes blank.
Even the top right corner EXIT button does not work.
I have to use Windows Task Manager to shut it down.

So I tried to add recordings to the Windows 7 PC I use in the family room to watch the recordings.
As soon as I added one series, I get the same result.

I have reset both PC's using the technique of deleting the files in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome folder and rebooting.
The Windows 8.1 machine had the same problem again after a day.

Is this a SiliconDust issue or a WMC issue?
Does anyone have a permanent fix other than deleting the files in the eHome directory EVERY day?

WMC worked great on my dead PC for years !!!

Thanks in advance.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:07 pm

Have you tried running DCA again. You say you replaced the processor and the SN may be triggering playready that it is a different PC. Maybe the HDD that the recordings are on has gone corrupt or is going bad?

tdarlington3

Post by tdarlington3 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:33 pm

I have yet to replace the processor that died.
I am using a completely different PC running W8.1 Pro with a i7 processor.
The recordings are on a Synology NAS that I have never had a problem with before.
When this happens I dont even have to leave the top level screen of WMC for the blue busy circle to start and WMC freezes up..

One thing I noticed is it has Playready amd64 installed even though I am using an Intel processor.
I removed and reinstalled it, but it is still amd64.

Is that an issue?

Thanks.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:43 pm

The AMD64 is just referring to x64 instructions. It is the same as Intel 64 EMT. Are your recordings copy once, if they are it will not play on another pc? It may just be a storage and media library issue hard to say really. I would just try eliminating things one at a time. Try recording locally. You also mentioned deleting your ehome directory. that may have messed up your drm. Just try updating inside your WMC tv setting update playready. Maybe in your admin tools in settings event viewer could provide more insight into what exactly is happing inside WMC?

tdarlington3

Post by tdarlington3 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:11 am

I am recording locally. The PC then moves the file to the NAS drive so it can be viewed by any PC.
Works fine for the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX & PBS).
I use my cable company PVR to record the non-major ones or watch them on the PC they were recorded on.

I looked at the Event Viewer and there seem to be tuner (HD HomeRun Prime) errors when WMC locks up.
One entry for each of the three tuners "TV tuner encountered an error. (0xc0040524) HDHomeRun Prime Tuner XXXXXX-X".

Is anyone familiar with this error?

I have used this tuner with another PC for over a year now.....

Thanks

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:47 am

http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewt ... 41&t=17510 you do not appear to be the only one. Appears to be a software conflict. Elsewhere it suggested uninstalling and reinstalling your drivers. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-t ... tarts.html May indicate problems with other drivers graphics & audio also possibly bad RAM

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:14 pm

Could also be a corrupt recording. Move all recordings made since the error started elsewhere and see if it stabilizes.

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:19 pm

I know in the past, that particular error was often caused by other software (including AIM)... I'd also look at drive problems but because you said it was occurring on multiple machines it is less likely (I used to get one of the WMC error messages that was frequently displayed with that error and it was the drive and for several months I was going through a drive a month with WMC until I decided to move the buffer to another drive (in my case I had 12 tuners often with 8+ going at once with at least 4 on 24/7). I believe in your thread over at SD, you stated you are using Kaspersky and Norton on the various machines and I wouldn't begin to troubleshoot until those are properly removed.