Universal remote for elderly

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Bryan

HTPC Specs: Show details

Universal remote for elderly

Post by Bryan » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:57 pm

This isn't for WMC, but hopefully is still relevant. My elderly grandparents just moved in with my folks, and have their own separate living space. They spend a lot of time watching TV. They have their cable box as well as an AppleTV we use to provide Netflix (old movies are a big help) and also as a picture slideshow. They also have some sort of Skype video phone that connects to the TV. All this requires those three devices plus an HDMI switch, and currently every associated remote.

My preference would be something like a Harmony, but that has far too many buttons and isn't vision-impaired friendly. I'm hoping for something that can control these devices (activity-based would be great) and is easy to see, with as few buttons as possible. It basically needs to power on the TV and keep it on HDMI 1, control the DVR, and the AppleTV; I don't know anything about the Skype device, so just getting to that input can be enough for now. It needs to be cheap too, the move and associated renovations cost a ton already. Any ideas?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:30 pm

I like the URC WR7 for old people. It's gigantic. Still has lots of buttons, but the important ones are huge. It does activities (macros) just fine and is cheap.

The Xsight Touch is more Harmony-like and also extremely cheap on ebay ($30 for $250's worth of remote). Not sure how your parents would react though. Plus it's RF (with optional base), so no aiming required.

If you don't mind doing some programming, even a $3 Comcast 1067BX3 from ebay will do everything you ask and has relatively large, highly visible, well placed buttons. It's only 3 device, but you could add basic skype functions anywhere.

Sony also makes a nice, large button remote, but it isn't as programmable as the other ones I listed. It can do the basics though.

miracleed

Post by miracleed » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:38 am

not to try to userp mdavej's excellent recommendations logitech has a fairly 'simple' remote as well, if you watch slick deals you can pick a refurbished one up for around 70 bucks.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7160048-logitec ... e-shipping

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:02 pm

Good suggestion. But I didn't recommend that one because of the small buttons, high price and no IR. It seems to be very popular though. If I were spending $90, I'd at least go for something with a display, like refurb 650 for only $40. But it too has lots of tiny buttons. My 80 year old parents never use the 650 I got them.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:51 pm

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't all that clear, but I'm basically hoping for something that can be programmed fairly easily and supports macros. The WR7 may be worth a shot first. This TV is setup just for my grandparents, so it just has to be something they can use. A Harmony would be nice since my parents have one (so mom doesn't have to figure out a new one to help them) but I don't think my grandparents would figure out a 650.