Please help with downloading NVIDIA driver for Acer PC

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
stevethebrain

HTPC Specs: Show details

Please help with downloading NVIDIA driver for Acer PC

Post by stevethebrain » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:03 pm

I have a Acer aspire M3910 I DL this NVIDIA driver from Acer web site

However when I unzip and extract files then try to install the setup.exe file I get this message

NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible w/ your current hardware setup will now exit.

note the only hardware change I've made to the PC is SSD for OS and a couple storage HDDs.

I'm trying to reinstall my silicon dust TV tuner so I went here

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

tried option 2 where it scans my PC and tells me which driver to DL it did'nt work message said

NVIDIA smart scan was unable to evaluate you'r sys hardware. must use option one to manually find drivers I have no idea on my choices.

Please advice

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:55 pm

When I go to Acer's driver page: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/dri ... re%20M3910 (pick 32 bit or 64 bit as required)

I see that your model could possibly come with ATI, AMD, Intel or Nvidia graphics. Yours apparently is not Nvidia, so if you can't identify which yours is, download each of the others and try them.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:04 pm

Doesn't anybody use Windows Update anymore? Open up a command prompt and type wuapp Windows Update will figure it all out for you.

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:21 pm

mdavej wrote:When I go to Acer's driver page: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/dri ... re%20M3910 (pick 32 bit or 64 bit as required)

I see that your model could possibly come with ATI, AMD, Intel or Nvidia graphics. Yours apparently is not Nvidia, so if you can't identify which yours is, download each of the others and try them.
I do know I have a intel I3 CPU so I guess I can rule out AMD, Nvidia, must be ATI

wierd thing was when I was DLing each of the VGA XXXXX drivers they all seamed to be the exact same.

is this why Nvidia drivers would'nt install because I don't have there hareware?

anyway I had diffaculty w/ three other drivers I believe the VGA ATI was one of them.
Thanks STB

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:10 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Doesn't anybody use Windows Update anymore? Open up a command prompt and type wuapp Windows Update will figure it all out for you.
this sounds way to easy are you saying windows updates will install the drivers I need?

Oh BTW I really don't know what drivers I need because I'm not exactly sure what hardware I have in my prebuilt PC, I know I have a intel H55 MOBO
intel I3 CPU

basicalley having a real hard time (after the OS restore from the orginale HDD) resetting up the silicon dust home run TV tuner.

I don't remember this being such a PITA w/ drivers, compatiability what HW I have ect. dam.

I usalley leave the updates turned off.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:17 pm

It's your choice. Do it the hard way then.

webminster

Post by webminster » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:22 pm

Yes, that's what he's saying, just run Windows Update at least this once. And if you have a prebuilt Core i3 you haven't modified the hardware, you do probably need Intel's drivers if you are going to do this by hand. You can go to Control Panel / Device Manager and look at "Display adapters" in the list to see what type of graphics adapter you have. Don't change anything there if you're not sure what you're doing.

You say above you're trying to set up your Silicon Dust TV tuner. Installing graphics card drivers has nothing to do with that. Go to http://www.silicondust.com/support/downloads/ and download the Windows HDHomeRun drivers and software for that.
-Alan

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:37 pm

before the restore I did that installed the silicon HR easy three year ago can't remember it being such a pain after the restore.

webminster

Post by webminster » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:44 pm

Nobody said getting Windows and WMC working was easy :-) But help us here, you're not telling us clearly what is wrong to get accurate help. We're not tech support, we're a community trying to help. You say you're trying to get the TV tuner working, but installing graphics drivers won't help that. If you can state clearly what is wrong with either your display or with your tuners, whichever, maybe we can help.
-Alan

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:37 pm

Sorry Steve. Yes, it really is that simple. I just re-did a Dell Studio 1457 that same way. The 1457 is an I7. Even though wuapp appears to be a "magic potion or spell" and too easy to work. It is the first place that I (and I am sure many others) go, to solve as many problems as they can, before having to go "old school" or "the hard way" on an uncooperative box. Just typing those 5 letters is not going to be the end of your problems, but it will take care of most of them. Turn it on, let it run, install, reboot itself a few times. It will shut itself off and you'll think you killed it. Then you hit the power button and it will start up and update a million things. Then type those 5 letters again, again, and again, until it tells you, There's no more Updates Left you got them all. It usually takes me about 24-36 hours. I don't rush it. The last set of updates on the Studio 1457 totaled 567. The set of 567, failed 3 times. Then I tried 567 one at a time. Eventually I got em all. You have to be persistent, patient, and thorough.

I believe in getting all updates before installing anything else. Once I get all the updates including SP1, .NET, and finally the update, to the update, to the update, done finished no more left. Then I make an image. After the image is done, that's when I start installing all the toys, like the Haupage, Ceton, Silicon Dust. After you get all the toys working good, and test for a week, Make another image.

There's lots of help here Steve. But when somebody suggests something, they don't want to read 5 reasons why you think it won't work.