Move from Win7 MC to Win8 MC - schedule recordings

balikian

HTPC Specs: Show details

Move from Win7 MC to Win8 MC - schedule recordings

Post by balikian » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:38 am

I've got my main media center on an old, old, old Windows 7 machine that is showing signs of age and playback problems, not to mention a 10 minute boot. I've got a perfectly built Windows 8 machine that I just upgraded Win 8 Pro to include the Media Center on. I'd like to:

1. transfer my scheduled to recordings to the new Win 8 machine's MC
2. transfer my already recorded shows to this computer

For #2, my shows are on an external HD that I am just going to move over. I don't know if there will be any copy protection issues. I haven't tried just yet. #1 has been what I've been working on tonight (and researching). I did a search of these forums and only found some non-info on pre-release Windows 8 upgrades.

Ok. Hoping someone here can help me out. Thanks.

scott

oakley516

Post by oakley516 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:52 am

There is a useful program that can backup and restore the recording schedule in WMC. That might do what you are looking for.

It's here: http://www.seanmauch.com/seans-wmc-backup/

As for the copy protection issues, that will only happen if you have recordings from premium channels like HBO.

They won't play because the protection allows playback only on the PC that made the recordings.

balikian

Post by balikian » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:58 pm

I think that's exactly what I needed! Thanks! I do have some HBO shows recorded that I was going to transfer, but I think I can just watch them on HBOGO if I need to. Thanks again. So helpful!

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:08 pm

Just be careful not to backup/restore the channel lineup, only do the schedule.

Nitrousbird

Post by Nitrousbird » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:55 pm

Many of your other channels may be copy protected depending on your cable provider. I am stuck with Time Warner and they copy protect most channels.

poit57

Post by poit57 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:25 pm

Nitrousbird wrote:Many of your other channels may be copy protected depending on your cable provider. I am stuck with Time Warner and they copy protect most channels.
This is true. My cable provider doesn't copy protect local channels or channels that are included in their most basic cable package (about 40 channels, most of which are shopping or religious channels). Everything else is copy protected, so whenever I have upgraded/replaced my HTPC in the past, I always make sure to clear off my recordings from cable networks first.

It all depends on the policies of the cable provider in question. My provider is Cox.