Ongoing Pixelation and Stuttering

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
rjfwake

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ongoing Pixelation and Stuttering

Post by rjfwake » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:54 pm

I have a pixelation and stuttering problem with my Media Center. At times the picture is only slightly pixelated for a few seconds and other times the entire picture is pixelated. I have noticed the problem in live TV and in recorded TV but not in playback media files from other sources. I read many posts about similiar problems and have tried the following steps to improve the issue over the last 3 months with little improvement.
1) moved the MC closer to the main coax tap, currently on the first tap
2) moved the recorded TV folder off of the OS Drive
3) tested the signal and SNR values for all package channels, the tested channels were -3 to -5 and 37 to 39, based on the ceton knowledge base these numbers are acceptable
4) Turned off dynamic contrast in the video confguration software
5) updated video drivers
6) In channel dubug I monitored the frame rate, which stayed solid at 59.97 while the pixelation and stuttering was occuring, I did notice the values for the corrupt frames would increase as I arrowed back and forth in the debug tabs

What have I missed, are the next steps a different cable card and/or a video card?

Computer - new November 2013
ASROCk Z87M Extreme
Intel i5-4670K CPU, using onboard video
16 GB of RAM
Ceton InfiniTV4 USB latest beta driver

Cyterio

Post by Cyterio » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:19 am

I would guess that since only live tv and recorded tv is pixelated, it's most likely an issue with your coaxial cable or a splitter. I've had issues in the past due to a cheap splitter. It would work the majority of time with an occasional hiccup and pause of live tv. Start with the free and cheap repairs first and troubleshoot from there.

rjfwake

Post by rjfwake » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:01 pm

Thanks for the advice Cytero.

I tested 4 splitters,
1) Genesys II, 5-1000 Mhz, -130dB RFI, -7.5dB for each output..same picture problems
2) ReGal DS2DGH10, 5-1000Mhz, -130dB RFI, -3.5dB for each output..same picture problems
3) Extreme Broadband Engineering BDS102H, 5-1000Mhz, -130dB RFI, -3.5dB for each output..same picture problems
4) IDEAL 85-333, 5-2300Mhz, -120dB RFI, -3.5dB for each output..same picture problems

I tested a new coax cable from the splitter to the Ceton...same picture problems
I removed all of the splitters and connected the Ceton directly to the main cable line to the house....same picture problems
I unplugged all of equipment nearby think it might be some sort of crosstalk, nothing improved the picture quality.

Attached are two pictures of the problem.

thanks for you help.

Cyterio

Post by Cyterio » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:23 pm

I'm not sure where to go from here. To me, it sounds like its a problem originating somewhere between your incoming line and the pc. My reasoning for that is because you don't experience that problem with other media playback. If its only live tv that experiences that issue, or live tv that you've recorded, then the problem has to be somewhere in your feed. Have you tried different USB ports with your Ceton if it's an external? Can you duplicate the problem with another tuner, maybe a Comcast box if you have any? That's a frustrating problem to have, like I mentioned, mine had similar problems but it was corrected with a new splitter. Obviously that's not your problem though, since you've tried multiple splitters and completely removed it from the mix. I hope someone else can chime in with some help.

rjfwake

Post by rjfwake » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:58 pm

Thanks for the help. The Comcast tuners all have great picture quality with none of issues that I am seeing with the Ceton.

Yes it is an external Ceton InfiniTV4. I will try the other USB ports on the MB.

I realized the pictures in the last post did not display correctly.

http://sdrv.ms/1bgkEiQ

NCoastTweaker

Post by NCoastTweaker » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:05 pm

rjfwake wrote:Thanks for the help. The Comcast tuners all have great picture quality with none of issues that I am seeing with the Ceton.

Yes it is an external Ceton InfiniTV4. I will try the other USB ports on the MB.

I realized the pictures in the last post did not display correctly.

http://sdrv.ms/1bgkEiQ
If your gonna stick to non amplified splitters, then your incoming signal strength needs to be on the high side of 0dBmv and the SNR must be of acceptable quality. If your using switched digital video devices in your setup, then the return quality of the signal also matters.

I suggest having the cable folks visit and verify the signal strength and snr of your incoming connection. if the Signal Strength is reading below 0dBmv, see if the cable tech can adjust it higher off the outside tap. (some of the newer cable systems have this capability) or have them install an amplifier. Try to let them know before hand to bring some amplified splitters etc with them. If they find an issue that requires one, then they already have it on hand and can install it for you. Then you have one less headache to deal with. Ditto for the cable modem and tuning adapters.. I use a zero loss 8 way splitter. Its low distortion and allows high SNR. +36dB. No other splits.

I was able to have the cable co install a run from the cable tap outside, and one joiner with another coax run to the center location of my basement. I was able to keep each cable run from the splitter at that central location under 50 feet each.. If you cannot do this, then you need to think about a more amplified approach and use splitters or attenuators to balance out the signal strength depending on the length of the runs. In regard to amplifiers.. less is more.. use the least amount needed to achieve the desired signal strength / SNR levels. Both are important. The cleaner the signal, the less macroblocking / pixelating.

Even if you have to pony up some cash to get them out, its probably worth it in most cases.. (depends on the guy who is sent out)
its either that, or you can try out stuff yourself if your technically inclined... also, be sure to take readings from each device.. Ceton, cablecard, TA, cable modem.. etc.. use to compare against what the values are at the POE. Even if you do all that, you will not eliminate the macro blocking or pixelization completely. All you can do is reduce it. I've seen it happen on other tuners including settop boxes, but the consumer based versions seem to be more prone to it.

rjfwake

Post by rjfwake » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:24 pm

I tested all of the USB port on the MC, all ports had the same picture problems.

I installed an Antronix amplified splitter Friday afternoon, I re-ran the CetonSignals tool, all signals are in the +4 to +6 range, for Friday recordings the picture quality seems better on some of the channels.

Thanks for the help.

toddgreen44

Post by toddgreen44 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:55 am

It's been a while since your issue first occurred but has your problem resolved it's self or is it continuing?

I have read all the posts and wanted to offer two things to consider.

1) You have a 4 core processor and ceton wants each tuner to have its own dedicated processor. Maybe getting a proc with more cores would help.

2) what type of hard drive do you have?

I would suspect one if not both areas to be an issue if you've done ev ed rating else.

I have noticed a similar problem (Intel I7) but is resolved by turning background apps off that were hogging resources.

Have you tried using ceton support? While it's only by email, it's pretty efficient and to the point.

muranoone

Post by muranoone » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:56 pm

I have the same issue for months now. its been since the latest firmware update on the infinitv 4 pci. I have two running with tuner fish.

The pixilation is only on recorded tv ..have not seen it on live tv. I have signal split twice total 3 feeds from a single drop from the pole 2 cable cards and the 2nd split is feeding my modem.

I have Comcast and a powered amp 12 signal and 36 SNR a playing tmp of 63c

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:06 pm

muranoone wrote:I have the same issue for months now. its been since the latest firmware update on the infinitv 4 pci. I have two running with tuner fish.

The pixilation is only on recorded tv ..have not seen it on live tv. I have signal split twice total 3 feeds from a single drop from the pole 2 cable cards and the 2nd split is feeding my modem.

I have Comcast and a powered amp 12 signal and 36 SNR a playing tmp of 63c
plus or minus 12 is too much. Zero is best. http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =68&t=4557