HD Homerun Plus Questions

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
alrighte_then

HTPC Specs: Show details

HD Homerun Plus Questions

Post by alrighte_then » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:35 am

Hi there,

I'm after some information, my Hauppauge twin tuner just died after 7 or 8 year, so I’m looking at replacement. In looking around I have come across the HD Homerun Plus (HDTC-2EU).
I run WMC 8.1 so it would need to work for it which looking through the documentation it will. My questions / concerns are:
Is the quality as good as a built in HD tuner card?
As I’m in Australia I have no downloadable guide data and therefor it is only over the air guide data, does the HD Homerun Plus download the ota guide data to WMC?
Can it use both of the dual tuners in WMC at the same time (i.e. record one show while watching another)?
If start using multiple devices (an iPad or Android Phone) what happens when more that two channels are being asked for between all the device? can a device priority be set?

If there is anything else I should know about these devices? and would you recommend them over an internal tuner card?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Tim

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:13 pm

I'm not sure about the transcoding quality of the HDHR Plus tuners, but I can tell you that there is no reason why you would not be able to use both tuners over the network. The quality of the non-transcoding models looks exactly the same as an internal tuner. Why do you want the "Plus" model? Do you need the transcoding feature? If not, then you can get the HDHR3-EU tuner and probably save a little money.

Also, as of last month, the HDTC-2EU was not for sale yet.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:31 pm

Currently SiliconDust does not offer guide data. However, SiliconDust recently announced a partnership with FYI, a company providing guide data. NO GUARANTEES and no time line but there is hope that at some point we will have guide data in SD apps. See here:
http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewt ... 67&t=17436

No device priority as far as I know.

I had an internal tuner years ago. I like the external tuner with network capabilities a lot more.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:52 pm

I don't think the OP was asking about guide data for apps. He was asking if the tuner will pick up the OTA guide data and present it to Media Center so that Media Center can populate the EPG with the guide data received OTA.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:21 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I don't think the OP was asking about guide data for apps. He was asking if the tuner will pick up the OTA guide data and present it to Media Center so that Media Center can populate the EPG with the guide data received OTA.
I don't think WMC has that capability. I seem to remember it working in XP MCE, but never in WMC.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:29 pm

blueiedgod wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:I don't think the OP was asking about guide data for apps. He was asking if the tuner will pick up the OTA guide data and present it to Media Center so that Media Center can populate the EPG with the guide data received OTA.
I don't think WMC has that capability. I seem to remember it working in XP MCE, but never in WMC.
It may not work in the USA (ATSC), but people in Europe/Australia definitely get OTA guide data in Win7 Media Center with some DVB-T and DVB-S tuners. The OP is from Australia. His question is whether or not the SiliconDust DVB-T network tuners will pickup the OTA guide data the same as a DVB-T PCIe tuner will.

Also note that the OP appears to be a "one and done" member.

aseries

Post by aseries » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:29 am

I have used WMC with over the air TV and the Guide indeed works.