Weak signal on one of my InfiniTV4s

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
BilldozerVT

HTPC Specs: Show details

Weak signal on one of my InfiniTV4s

Post by BilldozerVT » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:41 pm

Hello everyone, first time posting here! Forgive me if I break any rules.

I have two HTPCs, both comparable in specs (i3 processor, 4gb ram, mid range gpu, etc). Each has a single InfiniTV4 in it. They are both connected to a comcast coax line coming into the house, separated by a 3 way splitter (the 3rd line going to my cable modem). Signal levels after the split reads -4.7. One of the HTPCs works great, reports around -5 to -10 for signal strength across each tuner when tuned. The other, however reads in the -22 to -25 range and either is unable to tune any channels due to a weak signal or it will barely tune, cutting in and out with distortion. Another bit of info, the working tuner card is likely newer. I bought the other one from a guy on craigslist who said it was working fine for him. The non working one features the snap on dongle and the working one has a screw on dongle.

I did a ton of troubleshooting on my own. Started by replacing cables until I had comcast check the signal strength on each line from the splitter. Even so I still connected the 'good' HTPC to the same cable jack that I had designated for the 'bad' HTPC and it worked just fine.

I started a support ticket with Ceton but oh my has it been a frustrating. I'll give you a brief play by play (this is over 4 days):

Me: (broke down the problem similar to how I explained it above)

Ceton: Asked for a diagnostic

Me: (Provided diagnostic)

Ceton: made recommendations for tweaking my system including some hotfixes, windows updates, turning off sleep, etc.

Me: (did the requested updates) Said the issue was still happening.

Ceton: Asked for an updated diagnostic.

Me: Provided diagnostic

Ceton: said issue was with signal strength and to check my line to my house, splitters, etc.

Me: (facepalm, duh) said I tested that and Comcast confirmed signal strength was fine, provided signal levels reported from their testing device.

Ceton: Said since signal is fine now, asked that I provide a diagnostic the next time it happened.

Me: Said it happens all the time, apologized if there was confusion and explained that the the signal strength is fine at the wall jack, but is reported as weak at the tuner.

Ceton: said I should try running the cable directly to the tuner and not use any splitters and see if that helps. Said to send a diagnostic the next time the issue happens.

Me: (facepalm again) Tried it anyways, same results, provided diag anyway. Went ahead and connected the other HTPC to the same cable jack, sent a diagnostic of that as well to show a working computer on that same cable. Told them I believe it is an issue with the tuner card itself.

After having heard from them about 3 times a day up until this point, they have now gone silent for 24 hours. Does anyone have any advice here? THANK YOU!

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:29 pm

Did you try moving the problematic ITV4 into the other HTPC (and see if the signal issue occurs)?
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

BilldozerVT

Post by BilldozerVT » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:56 pm

Scallica wrote:Did you try moving the problematic ITV4 into the other HTPC (and see if the signal issue occurs)?
That is a solid idea. I'll give it a shot when I get home from work and report back. Thanks!

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:03 pm

Signal strength needs to be between +/- 7 dBmV for best results. Your -10 dBmV is low and -20 dBmV is below "working" level.

You can move the card from one computer to the other, but I'd advise that you just open the Web Gui and tune the channels there rather than run TV set-up, etc.

The first thing I'd do is move the computer with the low signal level to the location of the higher signal level and connect the computer there and see what you get. Comcast might consider a wider range than I gave you, but the +/- 7 dBmV is now considered "normal" by TWC and your aim should always be to get as close to "0" as possible. You will see variation over time and frequency but if your main center frequency channels are at "0" then usually everything else will fall in line.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:32 pm

The default IP address of the Infini4 is 192.168.200.1 What are the IP addresses of both Infini4's?

Good One = ?
Bad Two = ?

BilldozerVT

Post by BilldozerVT » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:18 am

BilldozerVT wrote:
Scallica wrote:Did you try moving the problematic ITV4 into the other HTPC (and see if the signal issue occurs)?
That is a solid idea. I'll give it a shot when I get home from work and report back. Thanks!
Put the 'good' card in the computer that housed the 'bad' card. Worked perfectly fine. Tuned channels with signals between -4 and -10.

BilldozerVT

Post by BilldozerVT » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:20 am

Crash2009 wrote:The default IP address of the Infini4 is 192.168.200.1 What are the IP addresses of both Infini4's?

Good One = ?
Bad Two = ?
I know that the 'good' one had the default IP and the 'bad' one had a different one. Can't recall what it is and I have it taken apart at the moment so next time I have it up and running I can let you know.

BilldozerVT

Post by BilldozerVT » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:21 am

I did finally get a response from Ceton support. They requested receipt and S/N to check warranty status and will then let me know my RMA options. I believe the warranty is 1 year and it is definitely older than that.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:31 am

BilldozerVT wrote:I believe the warranty is 1 year and it is definitely older than that.
If that's the case, toss it and get an HDHomeRun Prime.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:38 am

I'd wait and see what they tell you. It's possible they will work with you on repair/replacement. If you go to the SD you'll have three tuners, not four. Whatever you do the signal level is too low on both machines.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:22 am

I think out of warranty repairs are usually a flat $35 including shipping. Very reasonable IMO.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:32 am

If you decide to dig deeper into your weak signal issue, try AllCetonSignals.zip available at: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 423#p73423

BilldozerVT

Post by BilldozerVT » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:43 pm

UPDATE: Heard back from Ceton Support. They have offered to trade my card for a refurbished InfiniTV6 for $129 + shipping. Going to take them up on that offer.

BilldozerVT

Post by BilldozerVT » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:02 pm

Final follow up. Received the refurb InfiniTV6 and replaced the suspect InfiniTV4. Using same dongle, cable from wall, everything.

Works perfectly, all 6 tuners reporting signal strength at around -4.5. Very happy to have this wrapped up before football season. Thanks everyone for their input.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:26 pm

BilldozerVT wrote:Final follow up. Received the refurb InfiniTV6 and replaced the suspect InfiniTV4. Using same dongle, cable from wall, everything.

Works perfectly, all 6 tuners reporting signal strength at around -4.5. Very happy to have this wrapped up before football season. Thanks everyone for their input.
Got a question for you Bill. Did you have to re-run PlayReady or DCA when you swapped out the 4 for a 6 ?

BilldozerVT

Post by BilldozerVT » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:42 pm

No sir. All I did was reset the network settings, reconfigured network tuners, setup TV signal, and called Comcast to pair the cablecard the new tuner card.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:00 pm

Thanks, I always wondered about that.