Windows 7/8 Mixed environment issues?

cregacho

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 7/8 Mixed environment issues?

Post by cregacho » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:22 am

I've done HTPC with WMC in the past and am now looking back into setting one up again. The main PC hooked up to the main TV will be running win 8.1 WMC and using either a InfiniTV 6 eth or a HDHomerun Prime. All other TVs will be using either a xbox 360 as an extender or a laptop with either windows 7 WMC or windows 8. The laptops will be setup to access the tuners on the InfiniTV/HDHR Prime, but I will only be recording tv on the main PC. My thought would be to have all the laptops access the main PCs recorded TV folder. Will I have problems playing back recorded tv on the windows 7 laptops?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:36 am

Yes because all cable companies mark CCI Copy Once

cregacho

Post by cregacho » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:41 am

cwinfield wrote:Yes because all cable companies mark CCI Copy Once
Sorry, I'm new to this. So anything I record on the main computer will only be playable on that machine or an extender?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:44 am

cregacho wrote:
cwinfield wrote:Yes because all cable companies mark CCI Copy Once
Sorry, I'm new to this. So anything I record on the main computer will only be playable on that machine or an extender?
Correct

cregacho

Post by cregacho » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:14 am

Thanks. Is that for certain channels or all channels? I would be doing this with Charter.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:22 am

It depends on the cable provider but in general more channels are being marked as copy once. FIOS was a holdout but now mark CCI as copy once.

I just checked and basically anything that isn't local broadcast is copy protected on TWC.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:15 am

cregacho wrote:I've done HTPC with WMC in the past and am now looking back into setting one up again. The main PC hooked up to the main TV will be running win 8.1 WMC and using either a InfiniTV 6 eth or a HDHomerun Prime. All other TVs will be using either a xbox 360 as an extender or a laptop with either windows 7 WMC or windows 8. The laptops will be setup to access the tuners on the InfiniTV/HDHR Prime, but I will only be recording tv on the main PC. My thought would be to have all the laptops access the main PCs recorded TV folder. Will I have problems playing back recorded tv on the windows 7 laptops?
Yes.

So just watch TV--both recorded and live--on extenders plugged into TVs.