InfiniTV 6 ETH Disassembly

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
DJX

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by DJX » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:41 pm

You can see my current temps (for the time being) here: http://www.djxmmx.net/test/cetontemps.asp

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:11 pm

DJX wrote: This unit seems like it should be able to be integrated into a server room
Have you been inside the real server room? They are kept at about 68°F -70°F with generous airflow.

Western NY has been the hotbed of data centers (Yahoo, Google, Citi, HSBC, etc) because of the cooler weather, which minimizes the need for air-conditioning. In fact, this morning it was 56°F, this is the end of July.

Also, if I am not mistaken Ceton is in Washington state, which is not known for hot weather. They probably tested it under ambient conditions. Ambient conditions in the northern states are drastically different than in the southern states. Our summers are what your winters are like.

DJX

Post by DJX » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:23 pm

blueiedgod wrote:
DJX wrote: This unit seems like it should be able to be integrated into a server room
Have you been inside the real server room? They are kept at about 68°F -70°F with generous airflow.

Western NY has been the hotbed of data centers (Yahoo, Google, Citi, HSBC, etc) because of the cooler weather, which minimizes the need for air-conditioning. In fact, this morning it was 56°F, this is the end of July.

Also, if I am not mistaken Ceton is in Washington state, which is not known for hot weather. They probably tested it under ambient conditions. Ambient conditions in the northern states are drastically different than in the southern states. Our summers are what your winters are like.
I love how you're still defending them.

Their product is good but it's not without flaws.
You should not have to live in Alaska to keep your electronics running cool.
Thorough product testing means testing the product in a whole range of conditions.
In fact, many manufactures give you environmental specs.
The fact that I was able to neatly and professionally add some fans to this unit shows how easy it would be to add this from the factory and it would only make the product more stable.

I do not live in the south.
I've been in many MDF and IDF closets across my area.
Not all of them are kept at a decent temperature.
In fact, most of the IDFs at my work have no air conditioning and are kept at a decent operating temperature just by the products' own cooling mechanism (ie, their fans).

Anyway, this mod is easy to do.
It results in a neat and professional look and helps keep the unit running at a decent temperature.

SoNic67

Post by SoNic67 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:35 am

Based on the same idea of "testing" XBOX360 should never had a "Red Ring Of Death" or PS4 the "Blue Light Of Death" - both caused by over heating.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:47 pm

DJX wrote:You can see my current temps (for the time being) here: http://www.djxmmx.net/test/cetontemps.asp
That's with the two internal fans? 50C ? really?

Hmm, I don't think your mod worked so well... I was getting 50C just by standing the unit up vertical. I have mine standing vertical with a 2 inch laptop cooler fan standing facing 2 inches from the "top" of the ETH and my temps are 40-41C.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:51 pm

I mount all my gear on the concrete walls in the basement. Seems to provide ample cooling naturally. I do not use the Ceton tuners tho (thankfully).

DJX

Post by DJX » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:57 pm

tzr916 wrote:
DJX wrote:You can see my current temps (for the time being) here: http://www.djxmmx.net/test/cetontemps.asp
That's with the two internal fans? 50C ? really?

Hmm, I don't think your mod worked so well... I was getting 50C just by standing the unit up vertical. I have mine standing vertical with a 2 inch laptop cooler fan standing facing 2 inches from the "top" of the ETH and my temps are 40-41C.
This is by far better than what I was at before.
I'm no HVAC expert so the idea I came up with is the one on the right draws air in, the one on the left draws air out.
I may be able to get better temps by changing this config, I don't know.

Also, keep in mind I have very little space to work with inside the unit.
These fans are only 40x10.
40x20 would move much more air but there is no room.
This is the best I could do.
It was easy to do and does help to keep the unit at better temperatures in my environment.

My unit did not come with a stand to mount it vertical so I'm not sure how everyone else is accomplishing that.

dotbatman

Post by dotbatman » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:32 am

Nice work. I'm interested to hear the results (in terms of temperature).

DJX

Post by DJX » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:01 am

dotbatman wrote:Nice work. I'm interested to hear the results (in terms of temperature).
You are the first person to have anything positive to say about my project here.
Thank you.
I am very happy with the results.
I'll post back a few times with more info if anyone is interested...
Preliminary results seem to be about 20C cooler but I'm also working on getting better air circulation in that closet.
There needs to be more air movement in that closet.
I am working out a plan to move air from the cold side of the basement, through the closet, and out a vent I made near the top on the other side.
This should create a negative air pressure zone and keep the hot air moving out.
Like I said, I'm no HVAC expert but I think I did a good job.
A combination of adding fans to this unit and getting air moving in the closet should solve all my problems here.

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:01 pm

DJX wrote: You are the first person to have anything positive to say about my project here.
Ha ha, interesting project I guess anything tuners invites a lot of opinions. I'll give you kudos as well.

Btw, my new case is pretty spacious and I have a couple fans blowing on my infinitv pcie6. My temps don't really get below 40 from what I can tell, I think all of these Infinitvs just run a little warm. Which of course is fine as the temps are well within their specs...I'm just saying I don't know that you could do much better than what you're at now.

DJX

Post by DJX » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:18 pm

Embiggens wrote:
DJX wrote: You are the first person to have anything positive to say about my project here.
Ha ha, interesting project I guess anything tuners invites a lot of opinions. I'll give you kudos as well.

Btw, my new case is pretty spacious and I have a couple fans blowing on my infinitv pcie6. My temps don't really get below 40 from what I can tell, I think all of these Infinitvs just run a little warm. Which of course is fine as the temps are well within their specs...I'm just saying I don't know that you could do much better than what you're at now.
Thanks!
Yeah, I was at 71C during peak times.
Now I seem to be idling at 45C.
Probably around 50-55C during peak times, still haven't gotten a chance to do some real analytics.

In my opinion, they should of at least added some heat sinks to this thing.
The key areas are the tuners up front, behind the RF shield and the controller in back, under the Cable Card.