Suddenly no tuners setup

TechLifeWeb

HTPC Specs: Show details

Suddenly no tuners setup

Post by TechLifeWeb » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:03 pm

This morning I came downstairs to watch the news while I ate breakfast. Flipped on the TV and WMC had a pop up that said something like WMC fixed errors in your recordings and you should check the scheduled recordings to be sure it is set up correctly. I don't remember the exact words because I was still mostly asleep. Then I clicked ok and now I see that there are no tuners set up!
I'm currently running TV Setup but has anyone seen this happen? Maybe my disk is going or there is some other maintenance I need to do? For the most part, this HTPC has been pretty solid for a long time.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:19 pm

It might help if you told us what kind of tuners you have.

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:40 pm

TechLifeWeb wrote:This morning I came downstairs to watch the news while I ate breakfast. Flipped on the TV and WMC had a pop up that said something like WMC fixed errors in your recordings and you should check the scheduled recordings to be sure it is set up correctly. I don't remember the exact words because I was still mostly asleep. Then I clicked ok and now I see that there are no tuners set up!
I'm currently running TV Setup but has anyone seen this happen? Maybe my disk is going or there is some other maintenance I need to do? For the most part, this HTPC has been pretty solid for a long time.
I have seen this problem only when I have left one of my echo's on overnight or while I am gone for a couple days. I don't know WHY it happens, but I do know the easiest way to fix it is to do a Windows System Restore to the most recent back-up not on the same date as the failure. It only takes a couple minutes and fixes the problem.

TechLifeWeb

Post by TechLifeWeb » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:07 pm

Jimmersd wrote:
TechLifeWeb wrote:This morning I came downstairs to watch the news while I ate breakfast. Flipped on the TV and WMC had a pop up that said something like WMC fixed errors in your recordings and you should check the scheduled recordings to be sure it is set up correctly. I don't remember the exact words because I was still mostly asleep. Then I clicked ok and now I see that there are no tuners set up!
I have seen this problem only when I have left one of my echo's on overnight or while I am gone for a couple days. I don't know WHY it happens, but I do know the easiest way to fix it is to do a Windows System Restore to the most recent back-up not on the same date as the failure. It only takes a couple minutes and fixes the problem.
A restore would have been the best solution. Probably should be more awake before I attempt these things :D
May still do that even though I reran tuner setup.

Thanks.
Twitter: @TechLifeWeb

werds

Post by werds » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:14 pm

I used to have this occur until I manually disabled the Windows Update Service. (Separate from the Windows Update thing btw) This stops the "unrequested" updates that MS tries to put in and since I did that I have had fewer random incidents of WMC going wonky on me. And yes a quick system restore always fixes it (and also proved that the most recent event was a windows update that was through the Windows Update Service).

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:49 pm

And we still don't know what kind of tuner the OP has.

stixsloan

Post by stixsloan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:46 pm

seems that WMC has all the sudden failed lot's of folks after reading numerous recent postings starting around early July. Our WMC was working perfectly from mid-April thru 7/11/14, then with no notice or alerts, WMC stopped recording events. After multiple attempts to retune Ceton PCI-3 cablecard device and device manager and diagnostics tool shows good signal and channels - WMC simply will not tune the cable card tuners to show any channels when attempting to view Live TV and None of the scheduled events to record are recording.

does anybody have any suggestions? See other post I've made on this same forum for Windows Media Center 7 systems - http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5&t=7692