Tuner issue using WMC8 with OSX, Bootcamp, and VMware

thingi

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tuner issue using WMC8 with OSX, Bootcamp, and VMware

Post by thingi » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:39 pm

I've got a mac with Windows 8 (in bootcamp) and OSX Mavericks installed. I use vmware fusion to access the bootcamp partition and run WMC from within OSX.

If I scan for signals in WMC (via vmware fusion) my usb dual tuner is found all works perfectly. If I scan for signals in WMC via Windows 8 (directly) my usb dual tuner is found and also works perfectly.

So far so good....

The problem is that every time I reboot between bootcamp/fusion/win8 and pure Win8 within WMC I get 'Viewing or listening conflict, no tuner etc'' and have to run tv setup again which is a drag.

I've had a look at the registry settings which work in each environment and have tried to make WMC think it's got four tuners but only detected two (via this guide:- http://www.pcmediacenter.com.au/forum/t ... rs-to-vmc/ ) but that didn't work either.

What's the most simple way for me to avoid having to run tv-setup and still have my tuners working without running tv-setup when I boot via bare metal vs virtual?

I've attached two reg files with WMC settings in them, one works in pure Win8 and other works in Win8 via VMware.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Attachments
regs.zip
(35.5 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:55 pm

What are the Windows Sound settings in Control Panel -> Sound? Try setting it to 2-channel stereo.

HellHoof

Post by HellHoof » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:21 pm

I have Parallels, not Fusion, but my assumption here is the way your USB device is being passed through in Fusion is different than the "direct" connection when you're using Boot Camp.

In the VM mode in Fusion, the device is passed through a different USB root hub, a virtual one presented by the hypervisor (Fusion).
When you use Boot Camp, Fusion isn't involved at all and the device is directly connected to a different root hub.

I didn't look at your registry settings, but if change them out when you change boot methods, does that allow you to avoid re-running the setup?

Polen

Post by Polen » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:21 am

I know this isn't a fix for your problem, but you might want to rethink your setup and get a network tuner like a HD Homerun.