Music Cloud(s)

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
mcewinter

HTPC Specs: Show details

Music Cloud(s)

Post by mcewinter » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:00 pm

Is anybody latching on to any of the music cloud services? I have adopted Google service to play music on my Android phone and I have to say is a bit handy to say the least. My concern though is should I actually lose my local music files, is this going to be convenient restoring all of my music?

Google's allowance of uploading 20,000 tracks for free was good enough reason for me to jump in with both feet. Apple $25 a year for their service isn't too expensive but I compare that to my lack of desire to pay for a MS live account for Xbox goodies.

Just wondering if any of you are hopping on any of these bandwagons.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:41 pm

Oh, you mean all these US specific services? No, not jumping on those bandwagons.

Google Music's 20,000 song storage does sound good. Needs to work in the Rest-of-World region and have a WP7 app!
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:44 pm

No. I don't need someone to store and stream my music. That I can do on my own basically for free.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:50 pm

I agree with you Venom51 as I am a happy WHS owner but there isn't an interface that is robust and has resonable action from "afar". Google music is working well for me so far but there are times it has it's hiccups very similar to sattelite radio.

Google music is free by the way.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:22 pm

mcewinter wrote:I agree with you Venom51 as I am a happy WHS owner but there isn't an interface that is robust and has resonable action from "afar". Google music is working well for me so far but there are times it has it's hiccups very similar to sattelite radio.

Google music is free by the way.
I used to rely entirely on Windows Media Encoder when all my handsets were Windows Mobile but since I switched to Android I've had to take a different path. Currently I just use Subsonic at the server and Doubletwist on the handset.

I know WHS comes with some other streaming media package but I'm not familiar with how easy or difficult it is to use. I just don't dig the thought of giving someone else control of data. I've watched too many of these hosted services realize their model isn't profitable or sustainable and shutdown. Everytime one does someone either loses data or has to go through the process of finding another provider and moving all the data.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:45 pm

I use Google Music. Mainly as an off site backup though. I have my music locally stored to my phone so no need to waste bandwidth streaming it. I've had no issues with it.