Eventghost help with IR blasting

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:25 pm

3rob3 wrote:Well, it was actually me but what barnabas1969 says above is true.
Oops. Sorry. I saw mdavej at the bottom of the post above mine and had Dave on the brain.

SJMaye

Post by SJMaye » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:50 am

I get it. Although EG will not work for what I can see many uses in the future. As for JP1, I have done that before many times. Recently I posted the thought of cannibalizing an MS OEM MCE remote, but it went no where. I am probably stating the obvious, but the photo below show why I think the MCE remote layout is best. Virtually all the keys I use all the time are within thumbs reach without having to re-position my hand on the remote. There are several that match this layout, but none are multi-device remote controls except the Inteset.

I contacted their support dept about the deficiencies. They are sending me their IR receiver to see if it helps with button push accuracy.

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:56 pm

SJMaye wrote:I am probably stating the obvious, but the photo below show why I think the MCE remote layout is best. Virtually all the keys I use all the time are within thumbs reach without having to re-position my hand on the remote. There are several that match this layout, but none are multi-device remote controls except the Inteset.
Not the exact same layout, but the Sony RM-VL610 I use has all the transport buttons clustered nicely near the bottom of the remote, which is preferable to having them at the top, as remotes feel more balanced in the hand when held near the bottom. It's not made anymore, but you can find them on eBay and Amazon sometimes. It's multifunction learning and works great with the Microsoft IR receiver and all my other devices. Macros can switch inputs on AVRs and TVs, start programs on your PC, etc. I wrote about using it with Autohotkey in this thread:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=7&t=7555

One thing I didn't mention there is by mapping all the buttons to F13-F24 combinations and eating F13-F24 when handled programs don't have the focus, the remote is limited to controlling specific programs, which is the way I always thought it should work. I've seen some ReportMappingTables that send Ctrl+S, Ctrl+Y, etc, and if the wrong program has the focus when you press the associated button, it could be bad.

Amazon still has the wrong picture of the remote in one of their listings, so here's a link to a review with the right picture:

http://www.remotecentral.com/reviews/sony_rmvl610/

The current Sony remotes swapped the positions of the transport buttons and numeric pad, which led me to buy several more RM-VL610 spares. I've also read they derped the learning procedure, and IIRC, you can no longer activate learning for a specific device and go through all the buttons lickety-split; it's more fiddly now, and you have to re-select the device between each button. BTW, the RM-VL610 has removable backs and was sold in two sets; see the review for the colors. I use the white back, and the remote looks great sitting on a table face-down with the rounded back being the visible surface, as it's designed to do.