Is the app supposed to turn WMC on?

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
Bonedoc

HTPC Specs: Show details

Is the app supposed to turn WMC on?

Post by Bonedoc » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:36 pm

Sorry if this information is readily available, but after playing around with my phone (android) and my tablet (8.1), I cannot launch wmc on my computer. Is the app supposed to launch wmc? or does it just control it once it is on?

Also the remote works (once WMC is on) if I use my phone (android), but not my tablet which is 8.1. The computer running the service is windows 7. Is this a limitation of the OS's being different or is this something that I can fix? My tablet will select and tune channels from the guide and play recorded programs fine, just will not work with the remote.

Lastly, can I rename devices? i.e. I have a ceton echo and it is named something like McX-Dad PC. (my main computer is named Dad-PC)

Thanks
David

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:09 am

As far as I know, Media Center needs to be running (in addition to the MMC service) on the PC in order for the app to do anything.

<tongue_in_cheek>
As for "turning it on", I suppose that depends on the mood of your host PC, the mood of your smartphone/tablet/Win8PC (the client), and how excitable the server is.
</tongue_in_cheek>

breakthestatic

Post by breakthestatic » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:09 am

Bonedoc wrote:Sorry if this information is readily available, but after playing around with my phone (android) and my tablet (8.1), I cannot launch WMC on my computer. Is the app supposed to launch WMC? or does it just control it once it is on?

Also the remote works (once WMC is on) if I use my phone (android), but not my tablet which is 8.1. The computer running the service is windows 7. Is this a limitation of the OS's being different or is this something that I can fix? My tablet will select and tune channels from the guide and play recorded programs fine, just will not work with the remote.

Lastly, can I rename devices? i.e. I have a ceton echo and it is named something like McX-Dad PC. (my main computer is named Dad-PC)

Thanks
David
I can answer some of the questions, but not all:

1) MMC won't start WMC directly, but it will send out a WOL packet if you set it up, so if you leave WMC always running and just have the PC sleep after a timeout, it should resume right into WMC. If you have a different config, you could probably use EventGhost or some other automation software to automatically start up WMC when the PC wakes up.

2) I'm not sure what's wrong with your tablet config, but if the Android app can control your PC then it is most likely a config issue with the tablet/tablet app. I don't have a tablet, but use my laptop with 8.1 and the remote part of the app controls WMC the same as my Android phone. I'm not sure if MMC can control WMC when it doesn't have focus (never tried), so maybe that could be why the remote buttons aren't working and you just noticed it while using the tablet? Sorry I couldn't help much further with this one.

3) You can definitely rename devices in the Android app, it's under settings > display names. I'm not sure if Ceton ever got around to doing the rename functionality for Win 8/8.1 and don't have my laptop handy to check. I do know that the renaming is local to the client device, regrettably. Would have been nice to set it once on the htpc and all the clients just pick up the friendly names.

In any event, hope that helps a bit. If you need more specifics or more help testing stuff out, shoot me a message!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:11 am

Bonedoc

!!!

<still_laughing/>

RyC

Post by RyC » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:26 am

Idgi

Whatever the case, scheduling recordings definitely works when WMC is closed.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:33 am

^Correct, Media Center records stuff when it's closed. But, idgi? Really? Maybe mood lighting would help.

RyC

Post by RyC » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:29 am

Ah so the app can do something without WMC being open ;)

deihmos

Post by deihmos » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:48 pm

Yes the app does not need wmc to be open. I have not been able to get Wake on Lan working on the Android version for a while now. It has not worked in a while, can anyone else test it?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:45 pm

Oh, sorry... I was thinking about the feature where you can start playback on the PC or extenders. Media Center must be running before you can start playback.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:09 pm

It was requested early on to have the ability to launch MC from the app. IIRC Motz responded with an enthusiastic "yes". Perhaps you can make another feature request. :lol:

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:32 pm

To be honest, I don't use the app very often. It comes in handy when I'm not home and I hear about an upcoming show that I want to record.

Bonedoc

Post by Bonedoc » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:49 am

Bonedoc=Orthopaedic surgeon

Thanks for the replies. I'll get right on the feature request, when do you think they will get to work on it?

The way I'm using the app is that my kids all have an ASUS vivotab 8 and have access to WMC recordings. Now they can schedule their own recordings and then play them back. That way they are not storing the saved tv on the tablet with limited drive space. It works really well. I don't even care much about the lack of wmc launch with the remote, but thought it was odd since my remote that came with my logitech speakers is capable of launching WMC. Doesn't seem like it would have been too hard to program.

And I have read hundreds of posts so I know its a dead app.

Thanks again.
David