Jittery recording and frame rate issues

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
bigredsaab

HTPC Specs: Show details

Jittery recording and frame rate issues

Post by bigredsaab » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:00 pm

I tried to find on here and haven't been able to find the answer after trying to fix with ceton support.
My problem is I am on Comcast and have issue with the 29/59 ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2658140 ) frame rate changes. Jittery recording with the recording seeming to only record a frame every few seconds.
Ceton seems to think a video card upgrade may fix. FYI I am not a gamer so cheap but fixing my problem is ideal. My question anyone out there have this problem and it was fixed with new video card? Or other solutions?

Mine setup is an integrated video on a I-5 2500K processor
With this board Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H (rev. 1.0)
HTPC that takes only half height video I believe. Although might reevaluate case if it looks as if only full will work. Hell have 4 hard drives and one ssd cramed in there in one designed for 3 and a blu-ray!
Win 7 with all updates.
I am assuming if I add video this will deactivate the integrated one? Haven't ever had to deal with this since the last 4 computers I built were integrated.
Ceton 4 tuner internal
As of april all ceton drivers up to date and even tried a few beta drivers with no impact positive or negative.
This records fine on network and some cable channels but not the ones ie syfy history amongst others where the recording is messed up. When watched live (not recorded) it was a dark flicker to the screen.

Any help would be appreciated!

This was cetons response fyi

This is a well-known problem with Windows Media Center and occurs across all OCUR devices. The problem is the result of an incompatibility issue between Windows Media Center's decoder and the MPEG steam encoder, especially when Windows Media Center receives video which does not properly indicate its framerate. Some video encoders used by cable operators attempt to detect the framerate (in order to minimize bandwith) and get it wrong; the framerate is re-detected every few seconds, resulting in a rapid change between 29.97 and 59.94.

Unfortunately, every time the framerate changes, Windows Media Center must re-set up the video pipeline, resulting in the color flickers you see on your screen. Ceton formally requested that Microsoft fix this issue. Unfortunately, Microsoft made the decision that the amount of work it would take to resolve this issue was too great for them to invest in it at this time. The official Microsoft Support article on the issue can be found below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2658140

Moving forward, Ceton is working on a workaround to mitigate this issue for its customers. However, we do not yet have an ETA for this fix. In the meantime, we suggest you do the following:
1. Exchange your video card. Some video cards handle the rapid framerate changes better than others.
2. Try downgrading/upgrading your video card drivers. We have seen better performance on newer or older driver packages.
3. View television through an extender.

Option 3 isn't an option and 2 was explored with current set up.

smcmillan2

Post by smcmillan2 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:24 pm

bigredsaab wrote:I tried to find on here and haven't been able to find the answer after trying to fix with ceton support.
My problem is I am on Comcast and have issue with the 29/59 ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2658140 ) frame rate changes. Jittery recording with the recording seeming to only record a frame every few seconds.
Ceton seems to think a video card upgrade may fix. FYI I am not a gamer so cheap but fixing my problem is ideal. My question anyone out there have this problem and it was fixed with new video card? Or other solutions?

Mine setup is an integrated video on a I-5 2500K processor
(snip)
Have you tried disabling video enhancements in the Intel driver? See the solution here: http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewt ... 41&t=17313, not sure which drivers you're running for your i5-2500K so the options may be in a different location under slightly different names, but worth a shot.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:07 pm

just for the record: it's not a jittery RECORDING. All the bits are there. The bits come down the pipe from your cableco, the Ceton tuner streams them to WMC which streams them straight to disc. As is. No alterations.

It's what the bits contain, as you know, that's the problem. Or rather, it's a problem for your video output system in how it interprets AND displays the human-viewable form that those bits are intended to represent.

Your recording is exactly what the cableco sent down the pipe. You could always argue with them, but they'll tell you that their cable boxes don't have a problem rendering those bits into human-viewable form, therefore there is--by their definition--no problem.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:48 pm

The i5-2500K is a Sandy Bridge CPU. The Sandy Bridge is known to not handle the 29/59 issue correctly. You will need a video card or replace the CPU with an Ivy Bridge or Haswell.

As I have recommended numerous times, the following video card is inexpensive, will fit in a half-height slot, is fanless (no noise, and no fan to fail), and handles the 29/59 issue fine:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121439

It is currently $49.99 on Newegg. You can search around and probably find it for less.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:53 pm

Found it on e-bay for $32.99 with free shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-AMD-Radeon ... 19ef07da55

bigredsaab

Post by bigredsaab » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:42 pm

First thank you all for the replies. smcmillan2 Your link helped me tremendously. This did fix it. Although the menus have changed this is fixed under updates this worked for me.

Although my newer laptop is giving me issues still under 8.1 with a i7-4500U with integrated graphics as well as a auto selecting integrated hd intel and NVidia Geforce GT 735M. I thought I made all selections as stated below but must be something more in this 8.1 / i7 4500U variant. What worked for my i5 2500k is below.

Ultimately the fix was to disable some settings that aren't clearly labeled in Intel's graphics properties:

Video > Video Dropdown (Upper Right) > Image Enhancement > Advanced.

I had to disable both Film Mode Enhancement and Contrast Enhancement in Advanced and Skin Tone Enhancement in Basic, but the flickering and stuttering is now gone. The signal still fluctuates between 29/59 Hz but at least the Intel driver is no longer fighting it and trying to (poorly) insert its own image correction treatments.
chizow Posts: 8Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:31 pm

Adam 1991 you are right my old "jittery" recordings played fine once I change the video settings.

Barnabas1969 thank you for the recommendation. So far on my desktop things smoothed out.

Thank you all and if anyone can help me with the last bit getting it not jittery on my 8.1 pro i7 4500U laptop please reply. Seems like one piece extra is needed for this. And I'll try these new areas to search as well!
And again my i5 desktop is running smooth now!