Recorded TV creates two thumbnails = driving me crazy!

newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Recorded TV creates two thumbnails = driving me crazy!

Post by newfiend » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:19 am

Ok there has to be a fix for this..but a search can't seem to find it.. :(
I had a problem with my recorded tv drive the other night and had to run chkdsk on it. so I went into MC and moved the recorded tv location to a new drive (temporarily) so the wife wouldn't miss her shows.
Once chkdsk fixed my drive I set MC to use the original drive and folder as the recording location, but now every time I record a show it displays two thumbnails for the same recording. If I move it back to the temp location it only displays one thumb when recording a show. I would like to use the original location and drive but the two thumbnails is driving me :crazy: any ideas on how I can fix this??? HELP!
Thanks,
newfiend

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:27 am

I had the same problem ages ago and have fixed but sadly I don't remember how. Sympathies but can offer hope that it can be cured (without major surgery). :think:

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:29 pm

OK a little has come back to me, I think:- :idea:

Try in MCE Tasks/Settings/TV/Recorder/Recorder Storage and confirm that the "Record on Drive" is to the drive you want, if not change it. Then and or Tasks/Settings/TV/Recorder/Media Libraries check that the "Remove Folders from Library" is greyed out, if not the select it and remove the spurious entry(s). Hope that helps.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:17 pm

joecrow wrote:OK a little has come back to me, I think:- :idea:

Try in MCE Tasks/Settings/TV/Recorder/Recorder Storage and confirm that the "Record on Drive" is to the drive you want, if not change it. Then and or Tasks/Settings/TV/Recorder/Media Libraries check that the "Remove Folders from Library" is greyed out, if not the select it and remove the spurious entry(s). Hope that helps.
I have tried this already. Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know why it displays two thumbs when switching the location back to the original drive.
I finally just moved it back to the Temp Drive and left it. That seems to fix the issue. However if anyone knows how or why this happens and knows a fix or something I should try please let me know.
Thanks Joe for your suggestion.
newfiend~

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:45 am

If you still have this problem take a look here:-
http://www.pcmediacenter.com.au/forum/t ... ntry335659

Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:57 am

Following your link, the suggested fix is as follows (for future reference):
Open regedit and go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media
Center\Service\Recording

On the right, you should see WatchedFolders
Double click that and make sure there are no duplicate entries. If there are, delete one of them.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:22 am

Thanks for these guys.. Idk why I never thought to check the Australian forums. I'll have a look and see if I have any duplicate entries. Thanks!

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:35 pm

how is this done w/ windows 7 media center please provide step by step instructions
Open regedit and go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Media
Center\Service\Recording

Double click that and make sure there are no duplicate entries. If there are, delete one of them.

Also, I recall Homegroup causing something like this (due to things actually being shared multiple ways). I don't use homegroup, I always set to work network & use trad sharing.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:10 am

stevethebrain wrote:how is this done w/ windows 7 media center please provide step by step instructions
Open regedit and go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Media
Center\Service\Recording

Also, I recall Homegroup causing something like this (due to things actually being shared multiple ways). I don't use homegroup, I always set to work network & use trad sharing.

Click Start (Windows 7) or hit the Windows key and S key to open Search (Windows 8)
In the search box Type "Regedit" (without the quotes) Right Click Regedit and Run as Administrator.
First Backup your Registy prior to making any changes.. In the Regedit Window Click File > Export
Select a save Location (I use the Desktop for easy access until I know I no longer need the backup of the Registry.)
Give it a Name (backup) and Save it to your desired Location.
When Regedit opens Start with the first part of the string above.. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE click the little > next to it.. the string will expand downward,.. go to the next(folder) section in the string above lick the > next to SOFTWARE etc..etc.. Until you get to the Recording folder click on it once to highlight it,.. on the right you should see WatchedFolders
Double click on WatchedFolders.
It will open an Edit Multi-String Window. Make sure your "Temporary Recorded TV location is NOT in the list under Value Data" If it is delete the Temporary location and leave the other values. Click OK and then close the Registry Window.
Reboot the PC.
Hopefully this will fix the duplicate thumbs.

If you have problems with Media Center or your PC after making these changes above (hopefully not) you can double click the backup of your registry and merge it with your current registry and it will replace the items you deleted, reboot the PC and things should be back to normal. (only do this if you have problems post registry tweaking above).
newfiend~