WMC freezing

glassr

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC freezing

Post by glassr » Thu May 22, 2014 6:56 pm

Lately, I have had issues with my extender not being able to access WMC. It always seems to be a pc issue. Once I go to the PC and try to move things in WMC, it takes a few moments then WMC seems to finally work normally and then the extender seems to work fine. I always seem to have to go to the pc and move through WMC to get things going.

Any ideas what is happening and how to remedy? Thanks.

3.0 dual core processor and 4 gb ram windows 7

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu May 22, 2014 10:58 pm

Did you check the memory and CPU usage when the issue occurs? Also check the health of the hard drives using HD Sentinel.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

glassr

Post by glassr » Thu May 22, 2014 11:04 pm

Thanks for the reply. I did not check at the time. I have checked with 2 extenders running and was fine. I will check if it happens again. I will also use HD sentinel.

josim

Post by josim » Sat May 24, 2014 12:01 pm

I am having the same issue. Wonder if this is an added benefit of windows update. ;)

i3-2100 w/8GB RAM, win7-64 using Linksys DMA-2100.

I have not noticed this issue with my Samsung extender.(this is a rare extender that was made for Samsung TVs produced in 2008 with Anynet+)

glassr

Post by glassr » Tue May 27, 2014 8:31 pm

Happened again, but this time my nvidia driver needed attention, so updated the driver and things seem to be running better. But now have mcxtask.exe eating cpu (wrote about it in another thread).

glassr

Post by glassr » Fri May 30, 2014 2:00 pm

Happened again and noticed high CPU utilization. Nothing else in processes was high except WMplayer was at at 50%. I also noticed in the notification tab to the right bottom windows 7, there is a wmc symbol with an arrow pointing down. Any thoughts? Thanks.

glassr

Post by glassr » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:28 pm

Issue keep recurring. Hd Sentinel showed healthy drives no errors. Ram seems fine. Cpu utilization is high 100%. Main process using cpu is WMP. Reboot fixes issue. Should this be happening? Only using one extender when this is happening. Extender works fine otherwise (netflix, etc.). Thanks.

josim

Post by josim » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:06 pm

OK, I found out what mine was doing, maybe you are experiencing the same.
My PC was going to sleep but the fans were running and it was still drawing full power. When I turned on an extender it would not connect to a sleeping PC. I then go to PC and touch a keyboard key and things start to work. So maybe your PC is functionally sleeping but otherwise powered up.

I am sorry I can't tell you what I did to get my PC to actually sleep correctly. I downloaded a firmware update for my infinitv 4, messed with BIOS and shutdown many start up programs.

glassr

Post by glassr » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:43 pm

I am thinking mine might be WMC updates. I disabled them in task scheduler and this morning, things seemed fine on the extender.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:34 pm

josim wrote:My PC was going to sleep but the fans were running and it was still drawing full power.
This sounds like the PC was in "Away mode", which is what it should do when nobody is watching TV directly on the PC, and there is either an extender connected or a recording in progress (or going to start in the next few minutes).

Extenders should be able to connect while the PC is in Away mode.

glassr

Post by glassr » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:54 pm

glassr wrote:I am thinking mine might be WMC updates. I disabled them in task scheduler and this morning, things seemed fine on the extender.
I think WMC is eating up resources and causing high CPU usage. I had to close it on the main PC to get the 360 extender to work again. Is there anything I need to look into? This seems to be a constant problem with high CPU usage and the extender freezing. The PC is only used as a HTPC. This happens at random times.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:09 pm

glassr wrote:
glassr wrote:I am thinking mine might be WMC updates. I disabled them in task scheduler and this morning, things seemed fine on the extender.
I think WMC is eating up resources and causing high CPU usage. I had to close it on the main PC to get the 360 extender to work again. Is there anything I need to look into? This seems to be a constant problem with high CPU usage and the extender freezing. The PC is only used as a HTPC. This happens at random times.

Extenders eat up a lot of CPU cycles too. You can see it in the Task Manager if you click on "Show processes from all users"

glassr

Post by glassr » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:28 pm

Understood, but most of the time, video runs smoothly on the extenders. Every so often, there will be pauses, freezing, pixelation on an extender. It always seems to be a high CPU usage on the PC. A pc reboot, or WMC close (on the PC) appears to fix it for the time being. At times, I see a WMPlayer and wmpnetwork.exe process using 50%.

glassr

Post by glassr » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:42 pm

My latest attempt - I removed all folders from all libraries in windows media player. 24 hours and all seems better.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:55 pm

glassr wrote:Understood, but most of the time, video runs smoothly on the extenders. Every so often, there will be pauses, freezing, pixelation on an extender. It always seems to be a high CPU usage on the PC. A PC reboot, or WMC close (on the PC) appears to fix it for the time being. At times, I see a WMPlayer and wmpnetwork.exe process using 50%.

I had an issue where Windows Media player would crash, and would take WMC libraries with it. I ended up removing it, and re installing. It seems to have fixed the issue.