Is anyone else in England/UK using a Ceton Echo at 50Hz?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
doofer

HTPC Specs: Show details

Is anyone else in England/UK using a Ceton Echo at 50Hz?

Post by doofer » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:19 pm

Hello. I've just bought a shiny new Ceton Echo, imported from the USA.

It's a smart looking thing, and I was hoping to get rid of the noisy Xbox from our bedroom TV that we've been forced to use since HDTV made our old Linksys DMA2100 redundant. I'm now wondering if I've just jumped aboard another sinking ship, after a read of this forum.

However, I can't get it to display at 50Hz. I installed the Ceton Echo on the MC PC, then set it to PAL 1920x1080, but it still stays at 60Hz.

What I have noticed is that if it's set to NTSC then it comes on at 60Hz and stays that way. If I set it to PAL then it comes on at 60Hz, then while the "Ceton" screen is on it switches to 50Hz for less than a second before going back to 60Hz when MC starts. I'm hoping that it's some kind of incompatibility with the TV - perhaps the TV reports that it doesn't support this mode? The Xbox was happy to drive the same TV at 1920x1080 50Hz though, also via the same HDMI input.

Has anyone in the UK, Australia or anywhere else got one of these working at 50Hz? If so then please reassure me that it's possible.

Thanks in advance...

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:54 pm

AFAIK Ceton have never got 50Hz working properly, there were rumblings during the Android Beta but mine has been running @60Hz since day one (even during the Beta).

TBH, after all of the other issues facing Echo, I think that sorting 50Hz out was fairly down the list of priorities!

Don't get me wrong, I still love my Echo - silent, low power, tiny footprint, gigabit ethernet.....

I also love my 360s though - not silent, high power, large footprint, smooth menu navigation, never crashes.....
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

cparker2k

Post by cparker2k » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:01 pm

doofer wrote:Hello. I've just bought a shiny new Ceton Echo, imported from the USA.
Write it off as a learning experience and google team media portal. (Open source and steady development) I abandoned my DMAs and an imported Echo last year and replaced them with TMP on Intel NUCs which are totally silent, no moving parts and they stream UK HD FreeView perfectly. No faffing about with entering setup codes, devices deciding they aren't going to work and requiring several minutes of client/server rebooting and they play anything MKV, all my rips without any problem at all.

Best of luck