Anybody having any issues with Win 8.1 Update 1

choliscott

HTPC Specs: Show details

Anybody having any issues with Win 8.1 Update 1

Post by choliscott » Tue May 27, 2014 9:21 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was toying with the idea of trying Windows 8.1 update 1 WMC & was wondering the following:

1) Anybody having any issues with this version? From what I could tell, this seemed to fix any plug in's that worked in W7, but didn't work initially in W8 when it was originally released
2) Any benefits you experienced between this & W7
3) Are you using storage spaces (especially the two way or parity) & if you have experienced a slow read or not.

All of my extenders are XB 360's, so that won't be an issue.

Reason for my thought to try was:

1) Noticed a difference (in response) between using W7 Home & W7 Pro (not sure how that is possible, but ok)

2) Was attempted to try storage spaces to create a large recording drive (no redundancy) & create a redundancy drive for any media I wanted to save (I do have a separate backup for this), but wasn't sure if the read speed would be too slow for this, & I would be better off just keeping a separate backup)

3) I always had an issue of trying to get all shows scheduled & have a "quick response" when trying to record a live show, or one time recording. For example, when I had only 8 tuners installed, I could get all of my shows scheduled & if I tried to record a live show, it would start recording within 5 seconds or so. If I had to reboot, shows would automatically start recording within 20 minutes (usually at the start of the next 1/2 hour mark).

If I had more then 8 tuners, then scheduling a show series took A LOT LONGER to set up & even trying to record a live show (when nothing else was being recorded) could take 20 + minutes to start recording (this is right after a fresh W7 reinstall & just finished setting up WMC 15 minutes earlier). Came to find out, that the Windows firewall kept throwing up messages about the tuner in the event viewer, so by installing something like Norton 360 helped fix part of the problem.

Well recently I had to do a W7 reinstall & while don't have any issues to schedule shows (if set for start/end on time), it was when I tried to schedule some shows to "stop 10 minutes after", when I am seeing the issues I described above. My thought was maybe I would have better luck with W8 compared to W7, especially when I saw faster scheduling response with W7 Home compared to the Pro version.

If that doesn't work, my backup plan was to have the main WMC machine schedule everything that can start/stop on time & have a 2nd machine set to record all the shows that need to end after 10 minutes.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed May 28, 2014 4:05 pm

Regarding your question about Storage Spaces, the user FrankAZ tested this quite a bit and had problems. See here:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 49&p=29402

and here:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 49&p=54256

and here:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =49&t=2437

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:09 am

Thanks for the other threads. I did try using WIn 8 over the weekend & had no problems getting WMC to work with the add on's, however Crashplan had an issue where it took forever to verify my backup, so I went back to Win 7.

I also think I solved part of my recording issue with it taking a while to record a show. I originally had a Infinitv6 & Infinitv4 card installed. I recently picked up a Infinitv6 ETH (to replace the infinitv4 & to also allow recording on a 2nd machine) & noticed that with less physical tuners installed in the machine, scheduling shows with 12 tuners configured went really quick.

However if I schedule a show to end "10 minutes" after caused it to still take a few minutes to schedule a show. My plan is to record the shows I want to end 10 minutes after on another machine & just move them over to the main MC machine.